HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Lure Making

Micanopy is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JUNGLEJIMJIGS View Post
    You certainly have been busy, just read this thread. I noticed you use reptile rubber on a lot of your jigs but didn't see one particular color that's my favorite. Camo(Green pumpkin/Lime & Orange Print). Just a suggestion for you to check it out. Couple of questions #1 With all those single lure color combinations in your boxes how do you decide which one to tie on? When I first started tying I did the same thing but when I found the right one that they liked I would lose it and didn't have another and would have to choose something close and it wouldn't work as well. Three became my favorite number then. Could lose two and third was used to copy and make more. #2 Where are you getting those roller swivels with the open end or are you opening them yourself?

I would….I would do just several designs if I could ever settle on which ones they would be. LOL

I copy some of your ideas, and that is always fun. Thank you for sharing like you do.

Here are some of the heads I made yesterday.

Name:  IMG_1968.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  85.4 KB

I like white heads with bright objects attached. The white gives a blank background allowing the objects attached to POP. I still like 3D eyes but sequins and rhinestones add brilliance. A “Hot Spot” sort of effect.

Name:  IMG_1969.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  45.1 KB

The first swivels I imagined and made myself. Simply cut one side of the eye of a swivel, slid a blade on, and closed the wire shut. Worked pretty good. That end of the swivel no longer spun especially nice, but the other end more than made up for it. The result was a blade that spun up nicely.

I have a collection of ball bearing swivels, but they don’t spin any faster or easily than these. The advantage of ball bearing is only when force is applied. Then they spin better. For blades no advantage IMHO.

The precut swivels are- “Minfishing Open Eye”. They come from China of course. So look where you find your Chinese stuff. I get the smallest size, but you might find different sizing. These are made with a single wire extending out from the barrel of the swivel and both ends spin. There was a small learning curve associated with closing the loop, but I am sure you will have no issues.

I substitute a swivel for a split ring with my under spins. These fit the mold made for #12 Crane swivels. This open end design allows me to avoid a split ring. The swivel attaching to the blade also allows me to skip the split ring. I end up with two swivels, with the blade swivel being the only one that actually spins.

Name:  IMG_1970.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  74.7 KB

Thanks for visiting.
    Maybe they will bite this one……

Post Thanks / Like

So I wanted to experiment some with the old feather inside the plastic bait trick. The videos show affixing the plastic bait first, then hiking up the rear end to make room for tying in the feather. Then release and allow the plastic to consume the lashing. I guess it works.

Another way is to use a large needle and skewer the plastic bait, pull through and trim. I used my bobbin threader, and it pushes through cleanly and leaves a very small wound channel. I added some super glue to the feathers just prior to pulling all the way through. This took the glue and the feather up inside and secured everything.

Works with MareABoo

Name:  IMG_1971.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  71.6 KB

Here you can see that it allows the feather to be far away from the hook. I also used a amputated section to make a small lure.

Name:  IMG_1972.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  69.6 KB

The purple was my first attempt at this, and is mareaboo. The white is ostrich and that seems to work pretty good.

Name:  IMG_1976.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  77.0 KB

Then finally I used some rubber legs and those turned out cool. The rubber bait squeezes the strands together at the exit point, and they tend to stay grouped. I like the look. Here it is compared with a hand tied version to see the difference.

Name:  IMG_1973.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  81.9 KB

So rubber legs and ostrich feathers work best it seems. Really not sure that using a section of plastic bait is even worth fooling with. Interesting, but is it stimulating ? Will the stupid fish even care ? Will they think it is a Lion and turn tail and swim. Crappie are fickle if nothing else. I think they are moody and lay around and sulk.

I didn’t try peacock feathers or neck hackles but I am sure they too could be drawn up inside the plastic material. I am not sure I will ever even try either of those as I am probably pretty much done with this experiment. I will save the idea of using the bobbin threader for when I wish to add rubber legs to a bait. I like the look of legs running down each side.

Well we are mostly through August now and soon the days will be noticed as shorter and the plants will begin to season themselves in preparation of Old Man Winter. Football is upon us once again and the Fightin Gators will likely stink the field up again this year. They can beat any team on any given day, and they can lose to any team on any given day. Most of their games are on the SEC Network, which is free for most people. They however expect me to pay $200 a month to watch that channel because I live out in the country. So I only get to watch one or two games on free TV and the rest I listen to on the radio. The SEC network pays the University of Florida millions upon millions of dollars, and they don’t need the money, but they use it to acquire land in the area. Especially areas where family homes are used as dorms. SCOOP……. now the students must rent their housing. Also, being tax free they have taken millions of dollars in tax revenue away. Like a strangler fig on a cypress tree, they just keep squeezing.

I am not sure about hunting seasons yet. I need to read up and see when everything is happening. I especially like dove season. Bought some corn cobs for hogs and deer. Don’t think I will shoot the turkeys. This year we had a bumper crop of turkeys hatched. They are almost full grown now. I got to watch six troops worth of them growing up on the side of the road. They sure are cute when they are little, and they grow up so fast. I imagine life is hard though as many of the chicks are no longer traipsing about for me to see. They are the Osceola variety.
    Likes S10CHEVY, SpeckledSlab LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Great ties & wonderful combinations you've got pictured. Up here it seems the more natural colors generate the best results for the crappie; the bluegill aren't quite as picky.
    That grey tie at the top of the previous page all on its own would probably be a favorite up this way. I have some of Skip's ties in the natural color theme; I should try them more. But yours with that white head, big eye, hint of chartreuse is a winner.
    Thanks for sharing all that you do.
    Yes, I was talking to myself; sometimes even I have to ask for expert advice.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 6poundtest View Post
    Great ties & wonderful combinations you've got pictured. Up here it seems the more natural colors generate the best results for the crappie; the bluegill aren't quite as picky.
    That grey tie at the top of the previous page all on its own would probably be a favorite up this way. I have some of Skip's ties in the natural color theme; I should try them more. But yours with that white head, big eye, hint of chartreuse is a winner.
    Thanks for sharing all that you do.

You must mean this one ?

Name:  IMG_1960.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  46.3 KB

I would like to make some up for you.

They won’t be professionally done, and I will not accept any money, but they would arrive up there before Fall does. PM me your mailing address.
    Likes SpeckledSlab LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

That's the one and thanks for the generous offer but I was just admiring. All you guys that do your own tying have my admiration. The creativity I see on the pictures posted is impressive.

BuckeyeCrappie is online now Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Buddy we are in the same predicament when it comes to Ohio State football. I have my presets in the car and garage radios but on game day around here at noon work ceases. I watch or DVR every game and if for some reason I am outside I listen and watch it later on.

We have a local college (Ohio University) who is pretty good. They open up Saturday night against San Diego State and I believe it’s on ESPN. JVille’s rookie QB came from there Jaguars QB Nathan Rourke stunned NFL fans with falling touchdown throw.

His younger brother now is the Ohio QB.

Dove and tree rat season open up Labor Day weekend here in the Buckeye Statec with Deer Archery kicking off the last Saturday of the month running through the first weekend in Feb. We didn’t see any poults here this year as we had a very cold and wet months of March with late freezes. No apples or persimmons either due to this.

just my rambling this Am.
    “If your too busy to fish, you’re too busy!” Buddy Ebsen
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    (Billbob and “G” approved!)
    Proud member of Tekeum’s Jigs Pro
    Staff

https://heavenornot.net/

heavenornot.net
    Likes MCG1 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 6poundtest View Post
    That's the one and thanks for the generous offer but I was just admiring. All you guys that do your own tying have my admiration. The creativity I see on the pictures posted is impressive.

Are you sure ?

I don’t mind at all. Been making the heads for them this morning. Went with golden eyes.

Name:  IMG_1979.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  23.6 KB

I also made a few under spins.

Name:  IMG_1978.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  94.2 KB

I wanted to try my hand at repetition. Making the same jig over and over. They say a good tyer can do such things and I would like to get better.

Anyways let me know if you want them and I’ll send them up.

BuckeyeCrappie is online now Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful work. Do you do any work with 1/4 oz heads for long lining?
    “If your too busy to fish, you’re too busy!” Buddy Ebsen
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    (Billbob and “G” approved!)
    Proud member of Tekeum’s Jigs Pro
    Staff

https://heavenornot.net/

heavenornot.net
    Thanks Micanopy thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I've been thinking about your kind offer have sent you a PM. I like that bit of flash you have in the underspins, too!

Post Thanks / Like

Certainly sounds like an eventful tubing trip
    The love for fishing is one of the best gifts you can pass along

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 ... LastLast