Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Lure Making

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question Please?

Micanopy, I really like the looks you have going here;

Name:  IMG_1928.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  69.4 KB

My question is are you bending the eyes open on the secondary swivel to attach it to your jig and the blade? If yes, How please. I really like the setback of the blades but the closeness to the bodies. These will smoke the Crappie here where I live and fish.

Micanopy is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Name:  IMG_1943.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  72.3 KB

I like peacock feathers. They are brittle and easily snapped, but I was told that fish really don’t ruin them and more than other feathers. The insect metallic green shimmer is awesome in most any sort of light.

I attached the feathers where it looked like the tail length should be, then allowed the ends to jut out without trimming. This provides some movement in the belly without having to fashion in something else in addition. This works even better with the ostrich feathers.

The fish should like all of these, it is just that right now most jigs simply will not work due to environmental concerns. HOT OUT THERE.

I have to run Momma around Saturday morning, so no boat riding. Sunday the wife and I plan to go for a scream around the lake. When it is HOT HOT, a boat ride beats just about most any other outdoor activity. Stiff breeze through your hair. We have been working on her boat steering skill set. She goes way too slow but has a huge smile on her face as she does it.

I left two auto inflate preservers in the bow of the boat and both popped off. UGH. I have to order some cartridges and refold, tuck, and fight the material back in place and rearm.

The insects found my engines pee hole thingie again. I usually insert a piece of a pipe cleaner and when I start the engine it pops out if I forget to pull it out. Blocks the entrance. These insects just love a hole that can eased up into for laying eggs. Ants climb in there too but I think they get stuck or something.
    Maybe they will bite this one……
    Likes S10CHEVY LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  IMG_1944.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  53.8 KB

Name:  IMG_1945.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  75.3 KB

Fiddling before I get started with my chores. Cool in the garage.

BuckeyeCrappie is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

“If your too busy to fish, you’re too busy!” Buddy Ebsen
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    (Billbob and “G” approved!)
    Proud member of Tekeum’s Jigs Pro
    Staff

https://heavenornot.net/

heavenornot.net
    Thanks Micanopy thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Took wife out on the boat yesterday. It was destined to be a boat ride kind of day. So we got her in some practice driving the boat. She wants to maintain a speed less than 20 mph, but the boat is not on plane. I keep explaining and explaining and explaining. The boat does not want to go 15mph no matter how many times she adjusts the throttle. It wants to cruise at 21 mph, on plane and gliding along at 3,000 rpms. Sipping gas.

She really does not like the fact that there are no brakes.

Anyways the rods never left their secure spots, and no fish were even attempted to be caught. HOT BABY. So we just rode around the lake for a while and came back home. At the ramp I saw a man that had his son with him. They were getting ready to launch. Said they was gonna catch some bass. Hmmmmm……. Anyways I gifted him a handful of my hand ties jigs. He liked the underspins best.

Here are some I recently tied.

Name:  IMG_1947.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  62.3 KB

Name:  IMG_1948.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  69.8 KB

Name:  IMG_1946.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  79.7 KB

Post Thanks / Like

I was tying away and noticed that I was getting low on jig heads again. So…. I made up some more.

Name:  IMG_1951.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  19.6 KB

These are simple affairs. 1/16th ounce Big Eye Minnow Heads with Eagle Claw 571 size 1/0, painted Glacier White. Then a thin coat of BSI epoxy and I eased the 4mm sequins in place. Pretty easy to manage. I might add a drop of UV resin later, not sure I want to. It will depend on how much the sequin catches as I run a finger across.

Name:  IMG_1949.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  53.4 KB

Name:  IMG_1950.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  64.6 KB

We are half done with the Dog Days of August. Yup, August in the Heart of Florida is as bad as it gets round here. Soon it will be September and we will start to see some relief. Oh it will still be hot, but the tide is going out on Summer. Old Man Winter will be along soon enough and all our Yankee friends will be so happy. We will be suffering something terrible down here then. LOL

I left my auto inflatable life preservers in the boat and they went BOOM.

Bought some beer on sale and wife doesn’t understand why it can’t just be kept out in the garage. I used to like Coors but something changed and it just didn’t taste the same. It might have been a bunch that had gotten old or something. Anyways I had enjoyed some beer while in the mountainous jungles of the Mexican beaches along the Pacific ocean. El Presidente, Modelo, and Pacifico. All three are available to me here and of these three I far away prefer Pacifico. Cheap, too at $12 a twelve pack. Normally $20. So I got some extra figuring it I would drink it eventually.

On a blistering hot afternoon…….beer on ice is hard to beat.
    Likes S10CHEVY, SpeckledSlab, BuckeyeCrappie LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  IMG_1952.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  66.6 KB

Now I have some jig heads to work with.

I decided to try powder painting without the shielding of shrink wrap on the hook eye. One quick dip in white is all they get anyway. The eye is large enough to leave a plunge bob hole for the fishing line, and the surface is smooth and slippery.

Name:  IMG_1954.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  110.8 KB

Looks like a lot of feathering but once it gets wet they will draw up tight and leave a remarkably skinny appearance.
    Likes S10CHEVY, MCG1, SpeckledSlab LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I love these. Not sure if fish would though. Sometimes I think patterns like this maybe look like something poisonous so fish stay clear. Dono, just thinking out loud.
    Owner
    "Wear your PFD" "No texting n driving" slab
    Crappie.com members are the best
    Likes MCG1 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Slab View Post

I love these. Not sure if fish would though. Sometimes I think patterns like this maybe look like something poisonous so fish stay clear. Dono, just thinking out loud.

Well Damn.
    Last edited by Micanopy; 08-16-2023 at 06:15 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  IMG_1956.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  86.1 KB

Name:  IMG_1955.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  86.0 KB

Name:  IMG_1958.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  99.1 KB

I’m liking the last one. Mixture of ostrich and mare-a-boo. Been watching videos on Steelhead Fly tying Intruder patterns. Steelhead like brightly colored lures, and crappie are similar in preferences. I think their eyesight must be similar, so what works for one……will work for the other.

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast