HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: New bluegill lures.

Post Thanks / Like

These micro spoons have sure caught my interest. Randy, you mentioned that instead of impaling your finger with these needle sharp treble hooks you have been clipping off two of the hooks. I like that to minimize damage to the fish. Question - when clipping the hook at what spot do you like for clipping? At the bend, further up the shaft or ? I know this sounds like a dumb question, but I’m thinking of how the lure will perform after the change.
    Thanks,
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobC View Post
    These micro spoons have sure caught my interest. Randy, you mentioned that instead of impaling your finger with these needle sharp treble hooks you have been clipping off two of the hooks. I like that to minimize damage to the fish. Question - when clipping the hook at what spot do you like for clipping? At the bend, further up the shaft or ? I know this sounds like a dumb question, but I’m thinking of how the lure will perform after the change.
    Thanks,
    Bob
    When I fish spinners (like a Mepps), I always clip off two of the hooks on the treble. I clip off up the shaft, as much as I can. I want the shaft to be straight so it’s less likely to pick up weeds.
    Likes Attack123 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Why not just replace the treble with a single hook. Not hard to do if the treble is attached via a split ring. Just wondering.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Likes Tracker12 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by z520tom View Post
    Why not just replace the treble with a single hook.
    I’m lazy.
    Likes dougpew, Ande LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobC View Post
    Thanks,
    Bob
    I clip the complete hook off. Cutting it at the eye. I have done this on several hard baits but only do one, and then go to a small creek in my neighborhood to test it out before doing all of them. I too worry about it changing the lures balance….performance. So far the lures I have done have not changed their performance. I hate changing hooks on these small lures. My eyes and motor skills not being what they once were. I have one lure that the split rings are so small I can’t get any split ring pliers in it. I bought the smallest pair of split ring pliers made from Chris and they won’t go in. The lure has a barbless hook and is a killer on trout. I gave a couple of those lures to my AirBnB host out on the Little Red River. He caught so many trout on it when he hung one of them he went into 48 degree water over his head to get it back….LOL.

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com
    Likes MCG1 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by z520tom View Post
    Why not just replace the treble with a single hook. Not hard to do if the treble is attached via a split ring. Just wondering.

I’m a little like DB4D, Tom. A little lazy and then I have to source (guess) the right size hook to buy and replace it with. Then again as Randy says it can be a real devil to open those micro rings. I found (at Wallyworld!) a 1/12 oz kastmaster to experiment with. I can do a before and after test. I would like to source some of these micro (non JDM) spoons here (USA) and not have to go overseas for them. I just need to locate some suppliers. This has been some very helpful info to me and hopefully to some others.
    Bob
    PS Randy, that was a funny story about your Little Red host!
    B
    PPS Tom, cautious about pricking a finger bad while on blood thinners….
    B
    Likes MCG1, gillchaser999, Ande LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Update on the lures. I received the 3 and 5 gram size. They keep the same small profile and have the same #10 hook. The lure body is from 16mm up to 21mm. The 1.5 gram is at top and 5 gram on the bottom. If the forecast holds I will fish tomorrow. Should find bluegill….KY bass….white bass…..maybe some crappie. Will sure test the lures out. Taking the Slow Taper Special….TenRyu Lunakia….and maybe fish the Mega Bass Shore Luck Limited.

Regards

Name:  IMG_2685.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  85.3 KB

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com
    Likes gillchaser999, BobC, S10CHEVY LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

These have Mustad quick snaps making lure/hook changing easy and quite.
    I use very small split rings, sizes 00 and 0 most of the time. Split ring pliers just don't work on small rings. I split these small rings with a tying bodkin or a hook barb point. The bodkin really works well on any size ring.

Bob C. I'm betting my hands and eyes are older than yours!!!!!
    Name:  20200711_174546.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  58.9 KBName:  20200711_172735.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  128.8 KB

Likes S10CHEVY LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Those are good tips, Tom, and you sure are right about the ring pliers. I bought a nice pair just for conversions and was really disappointed. The bodkin and snap ideas sound good, I personally would hesitate with a hook point for my above stated reason.
    Thanks for some useful info!
    Bob
    Likes z520tom LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Would you recommend the 1.5 or 2 gram lures for general bluegill and crappie fishing? I mostly fish with 2-3 lb test line.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast