Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Need advice on main and trowling batteries

Post Thanks / Like

It's best if you get something that will charge at least 10 amps or better per battery .No matter what type of onboard charger I have I always keep a carry round as backup.If I ever question if the onboard is charging right I hook up the carry round,if I am on a trip and the onboard gives me trouble I have a backup. I like to keep one of the older transformer style rather than the all electronic type, a good universal that has switches for different charge rates and deep cycle or regular are good.When I use to travel around a lot fishing I would carry an extra battery in the truck. If I had any kind of problem it was always there to swap out whenever I got back to the ramp. I could use the portable charger to put it on that night back at camp or wherever I was staying.

I have pretty good luck with this one

NAPA AUTO PARTS

The Dual Pro are good on board,not cheap but well worth it. This one does two banks at 15 amps.

Professional Series - Pro Charging Systems

Post Thanks / Like

My 2 cents worth. I had a Tracker with 2 Interstates 1 cranking , 1TM. Had the BPS 10 amp 2 bank chr. Onboard is the way to go , someone gave u bad info. The BPS charger sends 5 amps to each battery, but the cranking battery will charge up in an hour or so and it then sends all 10 amps to TM battery. I have never had it not fully charge both batteries overnight. Sells for about 130 but probably will be on sale now.
    Be carefull though, not all brands fully distribute the charge so all you get is 5 amps per bank. Minnkota does not as I found out so I returned it and got another BPS for my new boat. The one on the Tracker is 15 years old and still works fine.
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men

Post Thanks / Like

I'm in with the inboard chargers. If you fish a lot I think it's a must. Battery last longer, easy use, quick charge. I've got minn Kota chargers. Bought them in 05. Get one with high amps. 10amps or better per bank. Doggone is on point with having a regular charger. I learned the hard way in tenn. If your batt is completely dead the chip in the charger will NOT notice it's hooked to a batt, thus never go into charge mode. Connect a regular charger and the on board charger will instantly turn on. I would go with two smaller deep cycle for trolling motor and a deep cycle multi use for electronics and engine. Long lining in the wind can use up your battery real fast.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all and Reeldawg Cray PM me just what you said about the main battery might only use 2 amps and the rest go to the trolling motor on some models. I am concern while you are on land charging the batteries the main battery still has the connection going to the engine. I was told to unhook the wires to the engine when I charge the main battery or you can burn out the rectifiers in the engine charging system which I believe I did one time and fried my charging system on my engine. Is this true?
    "Smiles don't leave a lake without one."
    "White Perch the other white meat."
    "CK the Official Tester of floating nets".

Post Thanks / Like

When I was on the road tournament fishing it was almost always during colder months. My yamaha was cold natured so I had an inboard charger on the cranking batts also. Never had a problem with it messing with the yamaha. Inboard charges have a computer that takes the guess work out of taking care of batts. Just add fluids every year or so. That's it.
    Likes gabowman LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

There's lots of deep cycle batteries to choose from in boat storage areas!
    Just be sure to check the dates on the. I like the Optima Bluetop but they're harder to find when you're in a hurry.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need advice on main and trowling batteries

How about this one?
    I bet it would last all day

Plus it's IN STOCK

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451483274.073722.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  54.3 KB
    G3PO
    Likes BigDawgg LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Might sink boat. Lol. There are great batts on market. Lithium batteries. Light weight, take thousand recharge, charge in two hrs, last ten years. Some even float. I think that's what most bass pros use now. They've been around a few years but the price is keeping them from being popular.

Post Thanks / Like

There are others better qualified than I am to speak to it, but it is my understanding that using a deep cycle for cranking is not a good idea.

"D" is offline Super Moderator and 2023 Crappie.Com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

When using 2 batteries in parallel or series, it is important that they are the same age. I use 2 27's for troll motor and a 27 for cranking. All are Cabela's agms. They are hooked up to a MinnKota charger installed by Xpress and is hooked to all 3 batteries. You do not have to disconnect anything, making sure your key is not in the on position should be the same as disconnecting. Just plug it in and they will be ready soon. Mine steps down on each battery as it is charged. If you use AGM batteries you have to have a newer charger. The AGM's charge in less than half the time. I caught mine on sale a year ago for almost half price.
    Team Overalls Travel Squad

FISH for LIFE

HUMANKIND......be both

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast