Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Need advice on main and trowling batteries

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think that was only true for the older dry cell batteries like used in electric shavers, drills etc. Everything I read from the battery makers about wet cell TM batteries says to keep them fully charged. They state that leaving one discharged will cause the plates to sulfate and that builds up over time and reduces the battery's life and cycle time. That is why they recommend the modern chargers that monitor the battery when it sits for a while and charges as needed.
    I am not sure how much of this, is any, applies to the AGM and other similar batteries. I have not been able to afford one of that type yet.
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men
    Likes B10gone LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SeaRay View Post
    I think that was only true for the older dry cell batteries like used in electric shavers, drills etc. Everything I read from the battery makers about wet cell TM batteries says to keep them fully charged. They state that leaving one discharged will cause the plates to sulfate and that builds up over time and reduces the battery's life and cycle time. That is why they recommend the modern chargers that monitor the battery when it sits for a while and charges as needed.
    I am not sure how much of this, is any, applies to the AGM and other similar batteries. I have not been able to afford one of that type yet.
    I think Ray is right, fully discharging a lead acid battery can shorten its life. Best to recharge as soon as possible after use. Even if its still mostly charged. Again this is for Lead Acid batteries. Best to have a set that you only partially discharge during a day's fishing if you can. Has worked best for me.
    Tight Lines!
    Fisholishous <[[[>{

Fishing For Reservoir Stripers, A How-To Handbook

http://reservoirstripers.com/