Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wiring batteries and charger

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Wiring batteries and charger

Maybe this might help someone.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Default picture #3

Based on picture #3 with the 12v line along with the 24v. Can you run the 12v line to a seperate fuse box and run some of your electonics that way rather than all coming from your main battery? I have a 24v trolling motor, will this mess it up if you do this? Are you pulling 12v from just the one battery using this if in fact it would work?
    Everyone has a secret talent they didn't know about until tequila.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boat49
    Based on picture #3 with the 12v line along with the 24v. Can you run the 12v line to a seperate fuse box and run some of your electonics that way rather than all coming from your main battery? I have a 24v trolling motor, will this mess it up if you do this? Are you pulling 12v from just the one battery using this if in fact it would work?
    That picture is for the older 12/24 trolling motors. If you are set up that way, yes you could use the 12V lead for other things. But I wouldn't recommend using it for a depth finder or GPS as you can get interference from the trolling motor. And yes the 12V comes from 1 battery. If you do it, double check yourself with a meter. You don't want 24V going to anything except the TM.

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

12 volts will come from one battery but they seem to equal out on my meter as the die when pulling 12 off as shown above.

I have had to put two (up to five) dead batteries to keep fishing at night.

A meter is HANDY TOOL wish i understood everything on one.

Good post

Post Thanks / Like

Ok my head hurts now trying to figure out how to rig my batteries better. My cranking Batt runs the Motor the bilge and the Airator. My Deep Cell runs the bow mounted fish finder and trolling motor. Should I do anything to change the way I have them configured. I have an onboard charger but prefer to unhook the deepcell and charge it in the Garage.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SMITTY 58D
    Ok my head hurts now trying to figure out how to rig my batteries better. My cranking Batt runs the Motor the bilge and the Airator. My Deep Cell runs the bow mounted fish finder and trolling motor. Should I do anything to change the way I have them configured. I have an onboard charger but prefer to unhook the deepcell and charge it in the Garage.
    If you are not getting any interference from your TM on your finder leave it like it is. As your TM battery gets weaker while fishing, your finder may shut off when you step on the go switch. I'm curious tho as to why you remove your TM battery for charging if you have an on-board charger. When I get home I plug mine in and forget it until next time to go. Of course I have driven off a few times and forgot to unplug the extension cord.

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

The onboard charger is hooked up to the cranking battery. I switched it a while back to the cranking Battery when I was having problems with the old TM Battery (just never changed it back). I've since replaced the TM battery and the charger I have in the garage charges a bit faster. It is a pain though lugging the Batt back and forth. I use to bring the charger out to the boat but I one day chased a cat out of my boat and am afraid the clamps will come off the Batt and have an early 4th of july.

Post Thanks / Like

Default How much charge is left in my battery?

A digital voltmeter and this chart (thanks to Canepole) will tell you.

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN View Post
    Maybe this might help someone.
    Wheres the picture?

Post Thanks / Like

They disappeared for some reason

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast