Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Big Hill

Post Thanks / Like

Default Big Hill

Need a little help, need a place to purchase minnows, also any suggustions on a motel. First time to see the lake, if you have suggustions where to fish. PM me if you do not want share the info.

Post Thanks / Like

Two dogs bait shop down town on the main drag in a houses garage, or downrange shop sells bait also I believe( dont know exactly where its at though). I think their is a hotel right off of 169 not sure. I dont think you will find a super 8 or any chain hotels. Try the Rea Bridge their is fish there 24/7 365 days a year there is brush underneath all different depths. also dippin trees might produce. Good luck and lets hear a report soon!!
    Clete Frazell

Post Thanks / Like

Ron- last time I tried to buy minners there was a bait shop just east of the damn on the south side by the Mound Valley boat ramp. Its in a building at a persons house. Not a great count. There has to be somewhere in Parsons just not sure where.

As for a hotel, Parsons is your best bet. It's 15 min from there to the Timber Hill Boat ramp. Sleep inn is right off 400 and 59 hwy that you would get on to go to the lake. Wal Mart is also basically across the street along with a gas station. You might just ask about outlets hooking your batteries up. We noticed this place on our bass tourney trip in April. It's newer so I am sure the price is higher than others but it keeps you from pulling the boat all the way in town like wear did. We stayed at the Cantebury Inn next to Braums and the had outlets to use with the rooms in the back and room to keep the boat hooked to the truck. It was about $50 a night. Cheap and ok for just sleeping. There is also a Best Western and Super 8.

Good luck! I have never had much time focused on crappie at Big Hill. As Fuzzy said there are always boats at the bridge and I have done best in the bridge area but nothing that I would say is a must try.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Ron,

My wife's family recently re-purchased some property on Big Hill. Their plan was to convert a big garage into a place to rent out to hunters and fishermen. It's big enough for fishermen to pull their boats into the garage too. Of course, theres the convenience of charging the batteries inside the garage, but my understanding there will also be a shower, fridge and stove for the fishermen. It's actually on the west side of lake, however, due to the Corp of Engineers owning the lakefront property, it will still require to pull the boat to a boat ramp. It seems to be a 5-10 minute drive to the boat ramp. There's also a bait store on that side of the lake which I believe is near a boat ramp. I've only fished this lake a half dozen times over the years but this time of year, we've located crappie under the bridge or brushpiles in 15-25' of water. I'm sorry I dont have GPS coordinates of the areas we've hit. We've done good just poking around until we found a good bite. I'm actually going there this weekend for the 4th to spend time with the family. I realize this may not help you this time around but maybe next time. As soon as I get any info, I'll post it.

Post Thanks / Like

Ron, I live in Parsons and hotel info that Chad gave is good info. I also think there is a hotel in Cherryvale.

Minnows- I don't know if the bait shops around Big Hill are open anymore? There is Good Luck bait shop on the eastside of Parsons, if you stayed at Super 8, Best Western this shop is just a mile away.

I'm no help on crappie catching info, just haven't had the time to get out. Two weekends ago I saw a lot of boats fish the standing timber on the main lake. I was thinking about sometime trying Chat's Kentucky rig in some of the timber. The lake is a little low, STAY as close to the bouys while running up and down the boat lane!!

When you coming??

Post Thanks / Like

Great minnow counts - near cost on most inventory. Cash only.

Bill's Bait shop
    189-20,000 RD
    Cherryvale, KS 67335
    620-336-2601

BILLS BAIT & TACKLE Bait Shop Cherryvale KS 67335 | Hook and Bullet

Post Thanks / Like

Also, I would advise staying in the Appletree at Independence Ks or there is 2 new hotels in Coffeyville as you drive into town - 20 min drive to the lake from Independence Ks.

Timberhill lodge is highly recommended - Kansas Vacation Photos - Timberhill Lodge, Big Hill Lake, Cherryvale, Kansas (KS)

Avoid Big Hill Lodge - Homepage for Big Hill Lodge, Cherryvale, Kansas KS

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the information, I appreciate it and think others on the CDC will find it helpful. When I finally get to BH a report will be posted.