Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1986 champion

Post Thanks / Like

Default 1986 champion

what do you all know about same, I trust you guys/gals opinions on stuff so let it go, found a couple to look at, not to much money, one has a 2002 150 motor and tandem trailer. from the pictues it looks nice, and I will have to wait to see in person how nice. he said it will cruse at 28 to 30 not bad, wish it would go slower, but that is not to bad. should be good to crappie fish out of, Now remember I have never owned a glass boat. l

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds good to me, mine in a 84 with a 95 150 on it and still going strong and runs like a top, when I can get it off the trailer....... I like about 25-30 myself, used to go twice that fast, but didn't catch anymore fish going fast............. kinda like the old bull and the young bull........
    A FISH IN THE PAN IS WORTH TWO IN THE LAKE

keeferfish is online now Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

What motor?

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike I had a 1985 model that they called a 184. 18 1/2 ft boat with a 175 Mercury black max motor. It was a very good riding boat and real stable when fishing in windy conditions. It was a 60 MPH boat with one person in it but would run at around 30 with out dropping off plane. I just sold it a couple years ago when I got my newer Champion. Depending on condition and motor I feel you cant go wrong with a Champion. The ride is dry and smooth in them.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a good boat Beagle. Might see if they have had a compression test done on it, and let you see it. Or if there's a shop you trust close by, see if you can take it over and have them check it out.

Post Thanks / Like

Just make sure you check the transom! If it's rotten, that would be a "smelly can of worms" to deal with!

Post Thanks / Like

Beagle,

I once had an 85 champion just like it, it was the best riding boat I have ever owned.

Brad
    Can You Find, "LIMITVILLE!!!" :D

Post Thanks / Like

Let Brad check the motor out!!!! Period!!! Do not buy it before!! Check the transom to make sure it is not water logged and weak, check the bottom for chunks missing. Check the viberglass to make sure it is in good shape. If the boat has not been taken care of you can have flake exposed and this is not good. Run your hand over the viberglass and if it is really rough to the touch it could be oxidation or exposed flake. Make sure everything works as it should and once Brad has said it is a good motor take it to the lake and water test it, drive it, fish out of it for at least an hour. When launching stop on the ramp and remove the plug to make sure there is no water in the boat, do the same after you have lake tested and loaded to see if it has a leak. You can change the prop to run on plane at different speeds so I would not be to concerned about that, I can run 16 mph on plane with my winter set up.

Post Thanks / Like

i really dont no much about boats,but i have a 1982 champ and it rides better than my f-150 when it gets on plane,love it!

Post Thanks / Like

Oxidation, flake being exposed, for a boat from the 80's and 90's doesn't indicate a problem. There's nothing structural about gel coat. I agree with checking the transom for Rot. That would be a deal breaker for me. The only way you are going to get a good look at the fiberglass other then there being very visible damage, or a hole in the boat, is to take the top cap off. Don't recommend that.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast