HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pushing Crankbaits?

Post Thanks / Like

I did a little of it last year. I would pull 4 cranks (2 off each side/front). Then I had 4 cranks pushing off my spider setup. I would attach a 2oz. weight with a 4ft. leader then the crank. Worked great.
    2018 Triton 18TX 115 ProXS 4 Stroke
    4-HDS 9 Touch
    ACC CRAPPIE STIX

Post Thanks / Like

spider rig them out the front and use the reelfoot setup to rig them. 3-way swivel @ top of your set-up..about 6-8 inches of line off 3rd swivel and attach first crankbait..drop about 2 feet of leader from 2nd swivel and about halfway down take a 1/2 oz egg sinker (w/ hole thru the sinker) and run your line thru the sinker 3-4 times. This will hold the sinker in place where you want it. Now attach your 2nd crank bait to the remaining line below the sinker. I use loop knots to tie to cranks..gives them much more action. When you drop the set-up into the water have your troling motor on and slowly lower it in watch your crankbaits running to make sure they are not snagged on the main line. Drop into the water and your cranking for crappies. You can use any crankbaits that somewhat imitate a minnow. Not to small but not too big either. I have had success using the cheap silver, minnow shaped renegade crankbaits you find @ wallyworld (walmart) in the fishing section (obviously). They will have them on bottom rack in a box for a $1 under the fishing lures. Sometimes they have them and sometimes they don't. BPS will also have deals on cranks from time to time. Get several when you find some you like. You will get broke off occasionally so don't buy 3-5 dollar cranks unless you just want to. You will catch other species once in awhile. Fun way to fish for crappie and can and will be successful.
    Last edited by averie; 05-15-2008 at 03:13 PM. Reason: left out a word

Post Thanks / Like

Here's what i put together to explain to some that had questions of what pushing is.

Pullin' works better on clear lakes.

I've found pushing works better in Muddy water lakes.
    Nice thing about pushing is you can turn the boat quickly and go back through a school.

Pullin' Takes about 400 yards to turn around and go through them again without crossing the lines.

I start at 1.0 mph and if they hit at that speed and set it up .2mph until I'm not getting hits and then back down again.

Bandits work really well, but I had to buy some Rapala #4 Suspending shad raps on days when I have to start and stop to get them to hit.

G>
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Kit Papermouth; 05-15-2008 at 12:27 PM.
    Standing in the Gap
    Likes fishervet, rcornish, cva34 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

papermouth's 2nd illustration is one I was trying to describe above. Nice job on the picture..much easier for someone to see it than read it.

Post Thanks / Like

What type of rod are you useing to hold up that much weight??
    Brush Buster

Post Thanks / Like

Can somebody put this thread in the "Archives - Stuff we don't want to lose forum" too? This is a very helpful and informative thread.
    Mistah Kurtz - he dead
    A penny for the Old Guy

Post Thanks / Like

BB, just my normal 12' jig rods I usually troll with.. I don't go that heavy on the weight but I could if I needed to. an ounce or 2 trolling cranks isn't much weight on the rods.

Post Thanks / Like

Like I've told several folks, I keep trying it from time to time, but ain't
    had much luck with it - I think the clear water up here is hurting it some,
    and after reading this, I think I may just be trying to push too fast.
    Thanks for the tips guys

I had been trying to push as fast as I pull, 1.7 give or take, and it sweeps
    even 6 oz weights ran off the bow way back under the boat.
    I tried some 10 ouncers... but about came to the conclusion that
    if that's what it takes, I'm out - ain't often you'll see me say that.

I'm gonna try slowing down the next time I experiment with it.
    I'm using 16' BnM slotrollers that I have cut a foot off the tip and
    replaced the tip guides - handles it pretty well, just got to build up
    some confidence in it I guess. Hard to keep at something when it's
    giving you fits when I know pulling works :D
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

Kit Papermouth how long of a leader are you using from the three way to the crankbait?

Slabologist
    "Professor of Slabology 101"

Keep your line tight !

Post Thanks / Like

jwhite, you don't have to go fast and I rarely use anything bigger than 1 oz weight. let the crankbait do the work..it will dive down and move on it's own once you start moving. Even @ slow speeds the crankbait is moving quite a bit. Remember a loop knot is very important in the movement of the crank bait..even more so @ slow speeds. I always slow troll crankbait, just think of it as a very active minnow. Slabologist, I know you were asking paper but thought I'd throw in what I do.. I use about 7-8 inches leader from swivel..I've tried longer but seems to get tangled up much easier. The best way is to experiment a little and see what works best for you. Crankbaiting for crappie is extremely easy, just get your set-up tied and go. Sometimes will outcatch minnows 2 to 1, just have to figure what the crappie want that day. I have been long winded on a couple of these posts b/c this set-up works and a lot of folks aren't sure how to do it. Works great in the heat of the summer.. I'll help anyway I can. good luck

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast