Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 41112131415161724 ... LastLast

Thread: Fruit, Nut, and Vine Grafting, Tree Propagation, Tree Care

Post Thanks / Like

That’s awesome! It’s been below freezing for couple weeks here. I’ve brought my fig cuttings inside and everything else is in greenhouse.
    Likes Rojo LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Awesomeness. I have talked several times about a aquaponics greenhouse here. I have yet to pull the trigger and start the work. The chicken coop is solar powered. I am about ready for another project
    The love for fishing is one of the best gifts you can pass along
    Likes Rojo LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Default The Cuttings Collection Has Started...........

Made a run up the road from the house today to collect some cool fig & pear tree cuttings. After collection I vacuum bag everything to go into storage except the Fig clusters, they are going straight into the ground as a cluster. We will see if the experiment works.

Name:  Banana Fig Cuttings.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  85.0 KBName:  New Eating Pear Cuttings.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  70.8 KB

SD that bag on the right in the first picture has your name on it.
    Likes SuperDave336, S10CHEVY LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

That’s awesome. Do you know the varieties you got today?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SuperDave336 View Post
    That’s awesome. Do you know the varieties you got today?
    We do not know the variety of the fig or pear, the fig I had here before. When we concreted our circle drive and porch the water run off killed the first one. So it is Golf ball to Tennis ball sized, yellow, very sweet, fig. The Mother tree is 50 years old and bears very heavy with little care. The Pear is a fast fruiting, fresh eating, self fertile variety and after grafting to a 6 way Pear I have now we will find out.
    Likes SuperDave336 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Default Muscadine Cuttings - preparing to store

I received a nice collection of Muscadine cuttings to use for grafting to the wild Muscadine vines I have growing all over my place. Grapes are grafted the world over but I hear over and over Muscadinces can not be grafted. Well I have enough cuttings now to test that.

Name:  Muscadine Cuttings 1.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  85.8 KB

So the photo is a example of a storage practice that is used everywhere. These cuttings are exactly how I received them. Since all cuttings I have tried to store in a ziploc bag using a wet paper towel to keep the cuttings from drying out. My experience has been mold grows quickly when stored in that much humidity.

Name:  Muscadine Cuttings 2.jpg
Size:  76.9 KB

This photo has one variety of cuttings vacuum packed without extra moisture, seal in using just a little vacuum. This method retains the moisture without providing enough for mold growth.

Name:  Muscadine Cuttings 3.jpg
Size:  87.1 KB

Now that these are properly prepared for storage they can be placed in a refrigerator set to 40 degrees till needed for grafting about 30-45 days.
    Likes SuperDave336, S10CHEVY, BuckeyeCrappie LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice, very neat, very organized. I like it.
    Thanks Rojo thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Default Blueberry Bush Propagation Time

This is the last month to dig any Blueberry Babies to transplant still allowing them time to root before the soil warms back up.

Name:  Blueberry Propagation 1.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  180.4 KB

The 2 root shoots to the left of the Mother Plant are Babies. You can dig them up, cut the root free from the Mother, and transplant after "Topping".

Name:  Blueberry Propagation 2.jpg
Size:  155.4 KBName:  Blueberry Propagation 3.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  199.5 KB

I cut the tops off as the Baby will grow Limb Buds when it's ready. Till then it just grows roots. You can see in the first picture above I do not use the soil I dug out. It needs to be pulverized since heavy clay or in my case I had a load of native top soil trucked in years ago that has sand in it. Here I put shovels of that instead as it will settle around the existing roots of the cutting much better. You are looking for a soil PH of around 5.5 so a sulfur soil acidifier without fertilizer is always a good addition right around the fresh dug area.

Name:  Blueberry Propagation 4.jpg
Size:  162.2 KB

You may have to blow up the picture to see all the cuttings I planted but they go well past the Blueberry plant in the picture. The Kiln is growing in a way that I'm hardening off our property. A solid Southern Highbush Blueberry hedge is next impossible to get thru. Also I'm adding Muscadine vines with 16ft Hog panels underneath. I don't want my place to look like a Compound but that's exactly what I'm working towards.
    Likes SuperDave336, S10CHEVY LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Those will turn out nice
    The love for fishing is one of the best gifts you can pass along
    Thanks Rojo thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Default Growing Citrus in Pots Can Give 5 Months of Fruit

Growing Citrus is a easy way to make a tree pay for itself in a couple of years. Container growing Citrus is super easy & rewarding.

Name:  St Ann Satsuma.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  116.6 KB

The picture above is a St.Ann Satsuma and it is three years old. I bought it as a one year old, didn't let it fruit the next year, and let it fruit last spring. Well as small as it is (they don't grow very big) we got 18 large Satsumas off it this last cycle. You can eat these starting in late August. Owari Satsumas have ripe fruit by the time the St. Ann is done. Owari & Brown Select are the main two Satsumas around here. Both can be grown in pots with potting soil. A 25 gallon pot full of potting soil is very easy to move with a dolly. Now Owari trees can take freezing temps once mature. Here 20-22 degrees and they survive.

Name:  Ponkan Mandarin 1.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  132.9 KBName:  Ponkan Mandarin 2.jpg
Size:  131.4 KB

Now these trees are Ponkan Mandarins and fruit mid November - mid January. These are about done. I will pick the smaller fruit to share with friends to take the load off the tree. Ponkan's skin is so easy to peel and the fruit is so sweet especially late they can not be squeezed for juice with a Power Juicer but are fantastic to eat right off the tree. The first picture the tree is younger than the second so I thinned the fruit. If you thin citrus you are rewarded with exceptional quality fruit. These can be grown in 25 gallon pots and moved with a dolly. All you do is prune them to keep the size small, the fruit still gets big.

Name:  Page Mandarin 1.jpg
Size:  125.9 KB

This is one of my Page Mandarin trees, both loaded with fruit this cycle and are the orangest orange flavor of any Citrus. I grow these for fresh squeezed juice from November till I run out of fruit. At the time of posting this I just strip picked all the Page Mandarins left for Power Juicing. I use a distilled water jug to fill with juice and freeze till I run out of what's in the fridge. Not the best for fresh eating as harder to peel, lots of seeds.

In summary having a St. Ann, Owari, & Ponkan (all can be pruned to keep small) starting mid August to mid January, 5 months you can have fresh citrus to enjoy. Roll in the garage when a freeze is on the way or greenhouse if you have one.
    Likes SuperDave336 LIKED above post

Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 41112131415161724 ... LastLast