Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2910111213141522 ... LastLast

Thread: Fruit, Nut, and Vine Grafting, Tree Propagation, Tree Care

Post Thanks / Like

I just reread the reply and picked up on something I missed "straight wood sticks with buds from this years growth". So it isn't that the whole limb I'm cutting needs to be this years growth, it just needs to have buds on it from this year? That makes it easier if that's the case. How long of a limb section are we talking?
    Likes Rojo LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 91tiger View Post
    I'll have to take a hard look at the tree I'm wanting to take my cuttings from when I get back in town tomorrow. I don't think of any of the growth being very straight on a persimmon limb but I could be mistaken. How long of a limb are we talking that I need?
    You are looking for 2 buds above the graft and enough wood below the good bud to make a simple bevel cut for Bark Grafting and a little more is needed for Whip & Tongue. Look up Topworking Pecan trees on YouTube for bark grafting videos. I have done Mayhaws, Apples, Pears, Pecans, Persimmons, Plums with a bark graft. Sap must be flowing (bark slipping) except Pear trees. Pear trees are so easy to graft I think you could just throw the scion at the trunk and it will take. After grafting a while you develop your own technique. My pecan grafts are over 95%. I have topworked over 200 pecan trees. So you figure out what works for you.
    Likes SuperDave336 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SuperDave336 View Post
    Where my wife works at yesterday they started talking about persimmon pudding and she told me we needed a persimmon tree of our own. My grandparents had several on their property but he only had one oriental variety and it was by far the tastiest one. I'm currently looking for persimmon pulp to make the pudding....lol.
    I think I have posted my Persimmon Bread recipe SD, I'm at the bottom of a spectacular Margarita right now after a fantastic day sticking Steel to Crappie. Later I will post a picture of how I puree the Fuyu Persimmons I grow and vacuum pack the pulp for freezing.

It's a really good Margarita made with that Tequila I posted a picture of for Ketchn. Actually I just may have another, it's been a blessed day.
    Likes 91tiger, SuperDave336 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds awesome
    The love for fishing is one of the best gifts you can pass along
    Thanks Rojo thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

My daughter had a slight fever today so I had to pick her up early from school. I’ve been doing persimmon research most of the day. Lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SuperDave336 View Post
    My daughter had a slight fever today so I had to pick her up early from school. I’ve been doing persimmon research most of the day. Lol
    here you go Bud, my wife bought a Ninja Blender and it Purees Persimmons beautifully. I hold them till I have enough Ripe for 2 cups. I vacuum pack then freeze for making Bread during the off season. Should not be a problem harvesting Persimmons for 2 cups of puree right. We went to Ross Barnett for 3 days and a excess of 100 Fuyu Persimmons were ate by Raccoons. Trap is set tonight!

Name:  2 Cups Persimmon Puree.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  39.2 KB
    Likes SuperDave336, S10CHEVY LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

My grandmother used an old sieve with wooden pestle which we got when she passed away. Guess throwing it all in blender is way easier. My wife bought one of those ninja blenders so we just need a persimmon producing tree and we’re ready. Think I could go to Walmart and get one….

Post Thanks / Like

The first tree I planted when I bought this place was the Fuyu Persimmon. That's 33 years ago. It's still small, rarely made fruit till I started the Raccoon battle. They started it when they stripped the tree 2 years ago. The freeze zapped my tree this year. Killed all the branches back 12-18 inches. I just gave that fig tree grower the air layer he wanted off one of my trees yesterday. He brought a bucket of a different Japanese Persimmon in exchange. I didn't know he was bringing them. I will post up a picture. Anyway I see loaves of Persimmon bread in my future plus I have backup in the freezer. Kept at Zero degrees, vacuum packet in our Vacuum Chamber, fruits & Nuts keep a long time. Several years.
    Likes SuperDave336 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

That was nice of him to bring and share those. I don’t have enough space at my house for all the things we want to grow. I think my mom is open to the idea of growing some things at her house. Lots of land there. Currently used for hay fields.

Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2910111213141522 ... LastLast