Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ... 678910111219 ... LastLast

Thread: Fruit, Nut, and Vine Grafting, Tree Propagation, Tree Care

Post Thanks / Like

I just cleared it with my bride, 9 crape myrtles are getting a visit from my backhoe this winter for transplanting elsewhere. Figs are going in their place. The deer here don't eat the figs or blueberries but eat everything else. Robin Hood is visiting me this winter. I got my Mathews Switchback LD back from my brother. Only one miss in 9 years with that bow, a running coyote quartering away about 45 yards. Everything else, if I drew back, something got skinned.
    Likes SuperDave336 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I had read that the deer don't like figs and leave them alone for the most part. One big reason I like them...lol.

Post Thanks / Like

They eat everything else around here. From tomatoes to bird seed. They will keep sweet potato vines trimmed down to stuble
    The love for fishing is one of the best gifts you can pass along

Post Thanks / Like

Default Planting Has Started New Fig Tree Planting

Today marked a good day. 5 New Fig Tree varieties planted today. Really good fresh eaters; Smith, Hardy Sicilian, Violette de Bordeaux, Texas-BA1, and Conadria.

Name:  New Fig Trees 1.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  113.9 KBName:  New Fig Trees 2.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  123.2 KBName:  New Fig Trees 3.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  109.4 KBName:  New Fig Trees 4.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  131.5 KB

I had to put these in the ground the drought here is forcing my hand. I can keep them watered better in the ground. I have a few more new Fig Trees to plant.

Name:  New Fig Trees 5.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  90.0 KB

Now due to my age and existing work load I am upping my game in planting the rest.

Name:  Upping My Planting Game.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  59.8 KB

I got this bit about 10 years ago to drill 4000 holes for a new Pecan Tree Plantation. It took me a little while to say the least. I bought this Bobcat new after loosing my job due to my employer at the time being flooded with 10+ft of water in Hurricane Katrina. I bought it and a big tractor and did cleanups of properties here in MS. after the storm. Its been very handy ever since.
    Likes SuperDave336, S10CHEVY LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice. Love all the figs! My sticks (cuttings) are potted and I’m waiting on some roots.
    Likes Rojo LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Default Put That Auger to Work Today.........

Name:  Todays Fig Tree Planting 1.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  102.5 KB

These fig trees today are ultra super good eaters so inside the fence for the first 6 trees.

The drought here has the ground super hard but shallow watering the trees in pots is not good either. I decided I can lay a hose with a chlorine filter right on the root ball if I need to water. When planting the most important thing is to remove all the air in the hole. Flooding the hole and rocking the tree back and forth helps to express the air. I step with a little weight on these larger tree root balls burping the hole further.

Name:  Todays Fig Tree Planting 2.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  122.5 KBName:  Todays Fig Tree Planting 3.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  116.9 KB

If you have a known wet area you can still grow figs well just add a large enough planter to crown the dirt to the root ball. Always plant the root crown level with the grade. It needs to breathe.

Name:  Todays Fig Tree Planting 4.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  101.3 KBName:  Todays Fig Tree Planting 5.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  105.7 KB

Here I dug up a Celeste fig cutting quite a bit of feeder roots but by removing all the leaves and watering for a few days it will not go into shock just start rooting again.

Name:  Todays Fig Tree Planting 6.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  132.5 KB
    Likes S10CHEVY LIKED above post
    Thanks SuperDave336 thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Good tips and info. Thanks for sharing. I’m looking forward to my figs hopefully next year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rojoguio View Post
    Today marked a good day. 5 New Fig Tree varieties planted today. Really good fresh eaters; Smith, Hardy Sicilian, Violette de Bordeaux, Texas-BA1, and Conadria.

Name:  New Fig Trees 1.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  113.9 KBName:  New Fig Trees 2.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  123.2 KBName:  New Fig Trees 3.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  109.4 KBName:  New Fig Trees 4.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  131.5 KB

I had to put these in the ground the drought here is forcing my hand. I can keep them watered better in the ground. I have a few more new Fig Trees to plant.

Name:  New Fig Trees 5.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  90.0 KB

Now due to my age and existing work load I am upping my game in planting the rest.

Name:  Upping My Planting Game.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  59.8 KB

I got this bit about 10 years ago to drill 4000 holes for a new Pecan Tree Plantation. It took me a little while to say the least. I bought this Bobcat new after loosing my job due to my employer at the time being flooded with 10+ft of water in Hurricane Katrina. I bought it and a big tractor and did cleanups of properties here in MS. after the storm. Its been very handy ever since.
    I repaired some of the refineries in Pascagoula after Katrina. Storm surge was beyond belief. The catch ditches around the refinery was filled with fish and shrimp when the waters receded. Folks were there netting some huge shrimp out of them.

Post Thanks / Like

My house is 14 miles inland and 21 ft above sea level and it flooded in Katrina. When I returned the day after the storm first thing I noticed was dog food everywhere, we use a free choice feeder. Well it floated out of the feeder and scattered.

Post Thanks / Like

At that time I was close to the river delta in Mobile County Alabama. Water made it to within feet of the house. Many were not so lucky that lived a little closer to the water. Several Railroad Trestles in the area were flooded. Those rarely go under water. Said to be built above the 100 year flood mark. The I -10 and Bankhead Tunnels were in danger of flooding. It was a very wet storm

Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ... 678910111219 ... LastLast