Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst ... 56789101118 ... LastLast

Thread: Fruit, Nut, and Vine Grafting, Tree Propagation, Tree Care

Post Thanks / Like

Default Week Long Effort Paid Off - More Exotic Figs

I was surfing the web on one of the retail from home sites, Ebay, Etsy, etc., and found a fig grower near me but I couldn't tell where they were. I ordered 1 tree then used their shipping address to run them down. So I met the person shipping trees to pick up these 10 for $10ea. Good price. Here is what I got, a few I had bud 6 are real gourmet figs I didn't have.

*Smith
    *Hardy Sicilian
    *Violette de Bordeaux
    *Texas BA-1
    *Conadria
    *LSU Purple
    Celeste
    *Miss Hall
    *Green Ischia
    LSU Gold

* - Top Fresh Eating Figs

Name:  Fig Tree Score Yesterday.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  79.5 KB
    Likes SuperDave336 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Oh man I’m jealous. I too bought some figs but mine are cuttings. I’m ashamed to say what I paid for the cuttings after hearing your deal. Smith and I-258 are the cuttings I bought. Great buy and find!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Dang I overpaid.

Post Thanks / Like

Can't kick yourself. The reason I ran this grower down is to pick their brains about growing too. But when you buy their trees you get even more help. I bought cuttings online before and they were not what was ordered. If you can see a leaf at least you have a chance of getting what you want. Turns out they got hit just about as hard as we did in that late freeze. They are 25 or so miles due north from me so their trees were not quite budded out like ours were so the damage was less. 1/2 their trees were not able to produce cuttings for this selling year from the damage. I had to dig every fig up with my backhoe to save the roots.

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve read online about issues of figs not being accurately labeled and was best to buy from fig growers instead of box stores, nurseries, etc for best chance of accuracy. I purchased from figbid and thought pretty good deal. I’ve heard several YouTubers mention it. Wasn’t as good a deal as you got. The seller told me to go ahead and root them now since from fresh trees. I’d planned on putting in fridge until spring for better chance of rooting and surviving. I’m just worried about being to young without good root structure and the cold winter.
    Likes Rojo LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Figbid is good in my opinion too. Finding a passionate fig grower in driving distance will up my growing here. I'm already re-thinking were to plant the Celeste trees I have, not in prime real estate. I watched a video last night of this old Italian chef I'm fond of his cooking. Well he was making Fig Marmalade in the old ways. While introducing the video he walked around his house showing some fantastic trees right against his house. I can't do that here, already have trees scattered all over about a acre. I'm putting in about a 1/2 acre of Muscadines this fall. Like Slab and I was discussing, we don't need to do puzzles to keep our minds sharp as our projects are puzzles themselves. I will send you some cuttings from the better fresh eaters I have here, 2 I can't identify but your taste buds won't care one bit. Cuttings should only be taken dormant in my opinion unless you have a monster green thumb.
    Thanks SuperDave336 thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Celeste is one of the varieties I'm wanting. Pretty sure that is one of the ones my grandfather had. The other being Brown Turkey. I also want some really good tasting ones, Smith and I-258 and looking for Olympian were others. When and if I can get that Italian 258 growing I can send you cuttings of that one. It's supposedly very good as well. The Smith I think is ideal for your growing zone. Trying to decide if I should try rooting them now or wait until Spring. I'd have to baby them all winter if I try now like the seller suggested. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Unless they were fully dormant you have no choice but to root now. I can bury you in Celeste cuttings and will air layer you one today. That way when things cool just a bit I can ship you a small tree. I will have to look up the Italian 258, I have not read about it, so many fig breeders these days. I have Italian Black which has been good tasting but the tree is young, really need to be two to three years old for the taste to settle in.

Post Thanks / Like

The seller said they were from actively growing trees and would root quickly. Darn, guess I've got some work to do now. I'd watched a video and it sounded or I interpreted that you could put in fridge to make them dormant anytime and they would last for a year in fridge. Let me check on trying to get cuttings from my grandfathers trees on the Celeste. I imagine shipping a tree won't be that cheap.

Post Thanks / Like

Need to put out some fig trees. That way the deer will have more variety in their diets
    The love for fishing is one of the best gifts you can pass along
    Likes Rojo LIKED above post

Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst ... 56789101118 ... LastLast