HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: No clue how to start fishing for crappie but determined to catch one soon

Post Thanks / Like

Best guess on my line is 2-4 pound. Nothing too heavy. Ill try those marabou ones. For the minnows, im thinking shad and blue ice for colors. Only saying those two because this one old man I watch on youtube always has success with those. Any other suggestions for colors?
    only asking because there are so many choices for colors.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by StronkKnight View Post
    Best guess on my line is 2-4 pound. Nothing too heavy. Ill try those marabou ones. For the minnows, im thinking shad and blue ice for colors. Only saying those two because this one old man I watch on youtube always has success with those. Any other suggestions for colors?
    only asking because there are so many choices for colors.
    LOL .... yeah, you ask 10 people to give you their top 3 colors, and you're likely to get 30 different ones. If you've got some white, some chartreuse, some pink, and some Junebug colors in your baits ... you're off to a good start. (those colors can be solo or in combination)

You've already established that there's Bass & sunfish there, so if there's any Crappie around they're likely to be eating their fry (along with the aquatic bugs and other things swimming or crawling around in those waters.

IMHO ... Beetle Spins are a pretty good bait, but notorious for getting fouled in your line when cast. Road Runners "can" do that, also, but are just not as likely to.

Post Thanks / Like

I should have mentioned to check out our site sponsors in my reply last night. I've ordered from both Grizzley Jig and Pico with fine results.
    I prefer the more natural colors or subdued colors for the most part but agree with the chartreuse or white options.
    Yes, I was talking to myself; sometimes even I have to ask for expert advice.
    Likes silverside LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Minnows are hard to beat when one is starting out. Few rods, minnow bucket / aerator, some floats, weights, and hooks. A fella is ready to go.
    The love for fishing is one of the best gifts you can pass along
    Likes happycaster58 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Ordering tonight from pico. got 20 1/16th oz jigheads, 2 flip floats, some stops, 2 different types of marabou jigs (6 each), little shad in ghost shad color, orange and brown crappie tube, and a triple tip blue and chart. Happy I got these. Tried ordering from grizzly but there were no marabous, but there were underspins. Ordered from pico instead because the jigheads were a lot cheaper, and i'd rather just use the marabou jigs. By the way, how long does it normally take for them to arrive? Week?
    Likes SuperDave336 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Pico is awesome. Mitch is good folk too. They always have gotten my orders right out to me and I’d imagine they’d do the same for you. Probably within a week. Pretty sure they use USPS shipping. Let us know how things work for you.
    Thanks StronkKnight thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

quick question, any reccomended poles if I want to be fishing for crappie off shore? I know light action would be nice.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

quick question, any reccomended poles if I want to be fishing for crappie off shore? I know light action would be nice.
    If you're on a shoreline that has no overhead obstructions, I'd go with a 7-8ft rod in med/lite to med action with a fast tip. If there are overhead obstructions, I'd go with a 6 to 6.5ft rod and learn how to "shoot docks" or learn to sidearm cast with accuracy. Learning how to "shoot docks" can also be a major factor when in very confined spaces, and will work just fine with rods shorter than 6ft.
    A reel with a long or wide spool & lite line will help with distance on your casts. Brand of said rods is a personal choice (per budget) and that's your call. You just want to make sure that the reel balances the rod so that it's not tip heavy, or you'll wear out your wrist/arm with any extended use.
    Likes StronkKnight LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Alright thank you. Is a long/wide spool just a normal spinning reel with just a wider place to put your line on? I searched it up all I got was conventional baitcasters

Post Thanks / Like

Alright thank you. Is a long/wide spool just a normal spinning reel with just a wider place to put your line on? I searched it up all I got was conventional baitcasters
    Yes ... spinning reel. Sorry to be confusing, but basically what you want is a spinning reel that holds the most yardage of the same pound test line. Some reels have spools that are "longer" (front to back) and some have spools that are "wider" (side to side) .... with the idea of allowing the line to come off the reel spool easier, lending to longer casts.

Still .... more important than spool size is the weight of the reel. Like I said before ... you want the reel to balance the rod so that it's not tip heavy. I do that by placing the rod/reel on my outstretched finger at the front end of the handle. If it balances or slightly dips back towards the handle end, that's good. If it dips quickly towards the tip end, the reel is too light.

The biggest problem with getting a rod & reel that balances is having to buy them online. Being able to walk into a store & match them up is the best way to insure your outfit will be balanced. I don't even know if "combo" outfits are all that balanced, as I've never bought a combo outfit. I've just got a lot of rods & reels, and switch the reels around on different rods to make a balanced outfit.

For now, let's just concentrate on getting a balanced outfit & not worry so much about the spool length/width. If the outfit is balanced and can cast a 1/16oz jig 40ft away on 6# mono ... you're in business.
    Likes StronkKnight LIKED above post

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast