HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: No clue how to start fishing for crappie but determined to catch one soon

Post Thanks / Like

Didn't yet see any mention of Slab Sauce or some type of crappie nibble. I use both, either a little sauce on the jig body or a nibble on the hook, and sometimes both at the same time. For low wind days or pressured waters, I prefer 1/32 and even 1/64. More wind requires heavier for accurate casts.
    Likes StronkKnight LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  71649565279__6745B65E-4C34-4209-9689-5305B2C6500D.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  68.7 KB just came in!!! Cant wait to go tomorrow

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Likes CrappiePappy, Spoonminnow LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by StronkKnight View Post
    Name:  71649565279__6745B65E-4C34-4209-9689-5305B2C6500D.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  68.7 KB just came in!!! Cant wait to go tomorrow

Didnt end up going tomorrow then. Might go tomorrow actually this time haha. Ill keep you updated as always. Oh and i used one of the hair jigs to catch a nice sized state pin bluegill.

Post Thanks / Like

Not much to add to all the great suggestions. But here's my usual setup:
    light action 6' rod
    1/64, 1/32, 1/24, 1/16 oz unpainted ball head jigs with a range of hook sizes to match lure size
    8 lb test braid on med. size spinning reel and Zebco spincast reel (don't know anyone that uses Zebco's anymore..)
    Soft plastics (check out my posts with photos) that include various straight tails, curl tails, no tail.

Tip: Good sonar units are small and cheap as are 12v batteries. Finding fish of any kind (baitfish, sportfish) on sonar is a big help when locating fish though it might be rigging the transducer difficult with a Kayak. Mine is not on the trolling motor.

Some lures must be used with a steady retrieve while others a stop & go. It all depends on the bite whether one or both types catch fish.

Keep an open mind and don't despair when fish locations are hard to come by. Been there/done that! Cover water to increase the odds of finding patterns! Depth is important! Pattern fishing requires fish to be found in depth ranges and in areas you can catch fish the next day. Take note.

Luck got noth'n to do with it. The more you experience and discover, the less relying on chance is a factor.
    Likes Jamesdean LIKED above post
    Thanks StronkKnight thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by StronkKnight View Post
    Didnt end up going tomorrow then. Might go tomorrow actually this time haha. Ill keep you updated as always. Oh and i used one of the hair jigs to catch a nice sized state pin bluegill.
    Finally went today, double jig with the marabous

Name:  IMG_2280.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  57.7 KBName:  IMG_2280.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  57.7 KBName:  IMG_2278.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  59.9 KBName:  IMG_2279.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  64.8 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spoonminnow View Post
    Not much to add to all the great suggestions. But here's my usual setup:
    light action 6' rod
    1/64, 1/32, 1/24, 1/16 oz unpainted ball head jigs with a range of hook sizes to match lure size
    8 lb test braid on med. size spinning reel and Zebco spincast reel (don't know anyone that uses Zebco's anymore..)
    Soft plastics (check out my posts with photos) that include various straight tails, curl tails, no tail.

Tip: Good sonar units are small and cheap as are 12v batteries. Finding fish of any kind (baitfish, sportfish) on sonar is a big help when locating fish though it might be rigging the transducer difficult with a Kayak. Mine is not on the trolling motor.

Some lures must be used with a steady retrieve while others a stop & go. It all depends on the bite whether one or both types catch fish.

Keep an open mind and don't despair when fish locations are hard to come by. Been there/done that! Cover water to increase the odds of finding patterns! Depth is important! Pattern fishing requires fish to be found in depth ranges and in areas you can catch fish the next day. Take note.

Luck got noth'n to do with it. The more you experience and discover, the less relying on chance is a factor.
    Can you point me towards a cheaper end sonar? And thank you for the advice.

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  sonar.JPG
Views: 181
Size:  36.9 KBLowrance Hook2 4x at Walmart does great without all the bells & whistles and for only $89, free s/h. I wouldn't fish without it in my boat.
    Unlike the image shown, I turn on fish symbols.

if interested, I made a portable transducer mount that doesn't mount on the bottom of the trolling motor.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spoonminnow View Post
    Name:  sonar.JPG
Views: 181
Size:  36.9 KBLowrance Hook2 4x at Walmart does great without all the bells & whistles and for only $89, free s/h. I wouldn't fish without it in my boat.
    Unlike the image shown, I turn on fish symbols.

if interested, I made a portable transducer mount that doesn't mount on the bottom of the trolling motor.
    I have this foldable kayak, i cant attach the sonar unless i like velcro it on right? And di i need a trolling motor?

Likes Spoonminnow LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know what a foldable kayak is made of but if you can reach a portion of it from both the inside and outside at the same time, these magnetic mounts are the bees knees. I use one and and works slick if you can't mount something permanently.

Transducer Mounts | fishfindermounts2

Looks like you've found some crappie, good job!
    Yes, I was talking to myself; sometimes even I have to ask for expert advice.

Post Thanks / Like

I use different trolling motors depending on the aluminum boat I choose and don't want to have to change transducer mounts from tm to tm or mount it permanently on a transom. So, I came up with this idea:

On top of the wood post I attach part of a wreath door hanger which loops over the railing. The rachet clamp keeps everything in place. Just make sure the transducer is horizontal to the bottom which you adjust before clamping it in place. (The transducer is adjustable in the bracket that holds it.)

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast