HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Homemade Movie Theater Popcorn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DockShootinJack View Post
    The wife likes date night as well. Me not so much. At least the dinner part. It hard to find a place that can match or exceed what we can cook at home. I am certain you have to same experience
    We really don't go out much to eat. Now we love Tacos from a real Mexican Place, where they boil the beef down into that rich, wonderful filling. One of the local higher end restaurants was using a couple of my recipes for a while but since mine had numerous steps they quit. Sushi is another meal always eaten out. Prime Rib is best eaten when someone else cooks it so Steak Houses we visit too. You are right about the rest, if we are eating out it is because we are on Ross Barnett.
    If I die from a Deadly Sin it will be Gluttony!

"Formerly known as rojoguio"

Post Thanks / Like

Had a Mexican Restaurant called Phill Sandavols best Tacos Carbon around. Fresh tortillas, Mexican butter and tender steak. Mighty fine ears it was.
    The love for fishing is one of the best gifts you can pass along
    Likes Rojo LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rojoguio View Post
    We really don't go out much to eat. Now we love Tacos from a real Mexican Place, where they boil the beef down into that rich, wonderful filling. One of the local higher end restaurants was using a couple of my recipes for a while but since mine had numerous steps they quit. Sushi is another meal always eaten out. Prime Rib is best eaten when someone else cooks it so Steak Houses we visit too. You are right about the rest, if we are eating out it is because we are on Ross Barnett.

Lol, I’d pay to eat at your house rojoguio.
    Thanks Rojo thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

we are rather fond of Orville's recipes , pretty pricey for popcorn , but to be sure turns out pretty good in about 3 minutes ...
    at my friends place out west he has a machine and it makes good popcorn too , but never seen them actually make it ....
    one thing for certain my wife and kiddo consume a fair amount of it around our house ....
    cool recipe bro ....
    p.s. we have a sushi chef at our local Sams club , for about half or less of what it costs to eat out ,we can sit at home and watch movies and eat enough really good quality sushi to be full ....I used to roll my own and was taught by my favorite sushi place back when, and I have eaten at sushi places that really hurt the wallet , very high end and ridiculously tasty , but very expensive ....
    I think the one in Austin might have been the best , but some in Henderson, Nevada were all that and California as well ....
    loves good sushi ,,,,,, is his native american name ....
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales

Post Thanks / Like

Update: Finally figured out the last missing piece to a exact match to Movie Theater Popcorn. It is "Organic" Coconut Oil. I started out using refined (cheaper) Coconut Oil as I didn't find any reference to the differences but wow, very different to be sure. Once I ran out of the refined oil I had already purchased a small jar of Organic Coconut oil (pressed) to try and see if I could pick out any differences. Well it's huge. The fragrance of coconut is very light but definitely the missing taste. My wife came out of her sewing room, nose in the air, asking what I did different. Now when I make popcorn for myself I have to make her a batch (no Butter sauce on hers). Also Orville's white popping corn is much more tender than both of the Pop Rite offerings Walmart is carrying here. The next Garlic Shrimp I cook will have this oil along with the butter because I think it will add a complexity to the dish.

Likes J White LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

The fats we cook in certainly can effect flavor. I have quite a collection of different ones myself. I need a small pantry just dedicated to spices and cooking fats maybe in the future
    The love for fishing is one of the best gifts you can pass along

Post Thanks / Like

Interested in this as my mother bought a commercial popcorn machine for the church. They’ve been trying to get it right and had decided on coconut oil so I’ve passed this on about the organic coconut oil as well as the Orville white popcorn. Thanks for sharing!

Post Thanks / Like

Default A New Popcorn Oil Substitute

Recently I have been using just a little organic Coconut Oil for the taste but using this Avocado oil for the balance of oil needed to properly pop the corn kernels. If you read up on Coconut oil you won't like what you see. The taste is as good to me with just a teaspoon of Organic Coconut oil. I bought this oil at Walmart.

Name:  Popcorn Oil.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  57.0 KB

Likes SuperDave336 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I use an old pressure cooker, don't know what goes in the 3/8" hole in the lid. 1/2 cup of white popcorn, heat with lid off until 1 kernel pops, add 1/2 stick of salted butter. Shake the pan a few times until 3 kernels pop, sit lid on, don't twist the lid. All kernels popped in about 45 seconds. Pour into bowl and enjoy the low sodium popcorn.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by canebreaker View Post
    I use an old pressure cooker, don't know what goes in the 3/8" hole in the lid. 1/2 cup of white popcorn, heat with lid off until 1 kernel pops, add 1/2 stick of salted butter. Shake the pan a few times until 3 kernels pop, sit lid on, don't twist the lid. All kernels popped in about 45 seconds. Pour into bowl and enjoy the low sodium popcorn.
    Bud are you heating your test kernels dry or with some oil? I really like the idea of throwing butter in, we use real butter for most everything.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast