I don't know if I wrote earlier but each 10in stick of Pecan wood I bought was $12.50. I had to buy a Cigar box full. Now that I have wised up a bit I need scion wood for grafting the predominantly wild male Muscadine vines on my place to a good / choice variety. I ordered a total of 11 new vines but the bare root stuff won't ship till later in the year.

Name:  6 New Muscadines.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  77.2 KB

I didn't like the looks of the roots when they arrived because you could see they were root bound. To eliminate that, get the plants hydrated up, and improve their overall health re-potting is needed along with Root Pruning.

Name:  Temporary Potting Station.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  92.6 KBName:  Severly Root Bound.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  58.7 KBName:  Cutting Roots w Sizzors.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  87.8 KBName:  Up Potting.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  66.4 KB

I like recycled potting mix for this stuff so the tender new roots do not get burned. Old potting mix is depleted of fertilizer. I cut the roots with a pair of Scissors before up-potting into a larger container. I need these to spring back quickly so a liquid fertilizer will be used in a month or so to boost the wood and root growth. Once dormant I can harvest the scion wood for grafting this spring. I can take 10 year old wild Muscadine vines and Top Work Graft them over so the second year all will produce a crop.

Name:  All Repotted and Sitting in Shade.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  69.9 KB

During this process just a little morning sun is allowed till the plants vigor returns. By buying 6 $20 plants I will end up with 25-30 scions to graft plus still have the original vines.