Page 9 of 37 FirstFirst ... 678910111219 ... LastLast

Thread: 1996 Blazer VL100 Restoration to Crappie Chaser

Post Thanks / Like

Default Adding the Contrasting Stripe

Started to cut & polish on the hull. I added a Silver Metallic Stripe (Tape) to contrast both hull colors. Going to leave running surface sanded to 400 grit with longitudinal, blocked, scratches in place of a "Speed Coat". I running surface is marked with the blue painters tape.

Name:  Silver Boot Strap added.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  58.7 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Default Second Polish almost done......Waiting on Glidecoat to Arrive

Second polish is done. I signed up with Glidecoat and have product arriving tomorrow. They offer a super fine polish so I ordered some for a third polish before applying the Glidecoat Ceramic coating. The plan is to put 2 coats of Glidecoat everywhere but the running surface with the 400 grit scratches. I thought on Scream & Fly somebody would have tried a Ceramic coating on the running surface but the only place I see is prop coatings. The prop coatings are mostly a 2 part product. Well since I have a boat lift in my shop I'm going to coat the running surface with several coats. If it wears quickly but produces a noticeable performance increase I may have to try the 2 part product on the pad area at least.

Quick Shot of the progress.......

Name:  Second Cut Polish.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  56.1 KB

The Glidecoat Pro they sent me is the 2 part system. I unpacked the box this morning. A professional applicator is necessary for purchasing the Glidecoat Pro. I will post the results when application is finished.
    Likes SuperDave336, Jamesdean, S10CHEVY LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Looks good. I like the silver tape.
    Thanks Rojo thanked you for this post

BuckeyeCrappie is online now Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

That’s some beautiful work! Thanks for the update
    “If your too busy to fish, you’re too busy!” Buddy Ebsen
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    (Billbob and “G” approved!)
    Proud member of Tekeum’s Jigs Pro
    Staff

https://heavenornot.net/

heavenornot.net
    Thanks Rojo thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Default 2nd Polish Complete..........On to NANO Polish

I dropped $700 in stashed tip money today on 3M DA Sandpaper, Rage Gold, mixing pads, 3M's new purple masking tape (you can make tight circles without using fine line), and lastly 6 new foam pads to finish polishing out the hull. Glidecoat's Nano polish feels super slick, like a high end 3M product. My polishing pads have been used for too course a compound to use with the new polish. Hopefully tomorrow will see a completed compounding. A couple of days then on to polishing. The final step will be Ceramic Coating. I will document well for all who would like more information about ceramic gelcoat coating before investing.
    I wash a project (Car or Boat) with Dawn between compounding & polishing grit changes. The project's finishes get a coating of the previous cutting particles and oils that needs to be removed before moving on to the next step. The pictures are after 2 washings with Dawn & Hot water. I do not allow any water to dry on the job afterwards settling particulates on the virgin finish. After blowing all the water off with 150psi filtered air a new out of the bag microfiber towel is used to pickup any dirt the air swirled up.

Name:  2nd Polish Complete 1.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  53.6 KBName:  2nd Polish Complete 2.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  58.2 KBName:  2nd Polish Complete 3.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  71.9 KB

Today I can move on to Glidecoat's NANO Polish. This will be the final prep before applying the Glidecoat PRO 2 part Ceramic coating to the polished surfaces. I don't think I bought enough for the running surface. I was able to have a very good conversation with Glidecoat's main Application Tech. We agreed 4 coats should be used on the Pad Area so I will do that separate. Also had a meeting with a very successful Hydroplane racer (Best Yamaha Mechanic here) about their experiments with different "Speed" coatings. He said the blueprinting was the most meaningful change. The Ceramic hull coatings were not out when they were racing (they used several coating with marginal success) but after showing the Ceramic's properties I could tell he wished they were.

Post Thanks / Like

Default 1st Coat Glidecoat Done

Quick couple of pictures after Glidecoat NANO Polish & first coat of Glidecoat Pro.

Name:  Glidecoat 1.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  74.6 KBName:  Glidecoat 2.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  72.7 KB
    Likes SuperDave336 LIKED above post

BuckeyeCrappie is online now Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Boy, it sure shines like a new penny. How much on the water performance do you think you’ll see?
    “If your too busy to fish, you’re too busy!” Buddy Ebsen
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    (Billbob and “G” approved!)
    Proud member of Tekeum’s Jigs Pro
    Staff

https://heavenornot.net/

heavenornot.net

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeCrappie View Post
    Boy, it sure shines like a new penny. How much on the water performance do you think you’ll see?
    When I really push it, I expected 2-3mph. Well I still have not pushed it WOT and raised the engine. When trimming up the entire boat comes so far out of the water it gets spooky even before I hit the Jackplate. The 4 blade prop was necessary to tame the Bow Lift. Stern Lifting 3 Blade props are only made by Power-Tech. With the 4 blade the boat gets up with 1/2 throttle now. I engineered it a little too good so where most Bass Boats need bow lift I don't. My Prop Buddy was thinking we may need a Semi-Clever design, just pitch and push without a lot of Rake.

Post Thanks / Like

Horsepower and speed is a diminishing return on the water. I have a 115 Evinrude 60 degree block bored and ready to build. It's 40 pounds lighter than the Yamaha. 40 pounds off the Jackplate (negative longitudinal stability) would help with running a Raker style prop. I can find a bit more horsepower with the Yamaha by adding 130HP Heads and rejetting the Carbs but that would only get another 5mph at best. Not worth stressing the engine over it.

Post Thanks / Like

Certainly an awesome rig
    The love for fishing is one of the best gifts you can pass along

Page 9 of 37 FirstFirst ... 678910111219 ... LastLast