Page 5 of 37 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast

Thread: 1996 Blazer VL100 Restoration to Crappie Chaser

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rojoguio View Post
    The little hull was so lite after this work was complete and back on the trailer I could pick up the bow and walk the hull up in the air (no cap). I have more glass than original but what I cut out (fiberglass, foam, and water) weighed way more than what it weighs now.
    Take a look at my avitar, She's 16' long. I might can pick the bow up with no cap, but don't think My knee, back, or ankle gonna let me move it a or sure...Your doing some antastic work or sure...
    Proud to have served with and supported the Units I was in: 1st IDF, 9th INF, 558th USAAG (Greece), 7th Transportation Brigade, 6th MEDSOM (Korea), III Corp, 8th IDF, 3rd Armor Div.
    1980 Ebbtide Dyna-Trak 160 Evinrude 65 Triumph
    Likes Rojo LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Default More Traction On Project

The inner decking had raw wood, paneling thickness sheeting, again just stapled to the stringers to hold in place. Afterwards it was just glassed over, roughly, with chop. Of course the wood rotted, had to be replaced, so I cleaned the undersides of the skins real good with the grinder then used them for a pattern for new cores cut from 1/4in Coosa 26. After the new cores were epoxied the the undersides of the skins a layer of 1708 & Chop was added to arrest stretch flexing as much as possible. A peanut butter consistency epoxy was troweled over the stringers, the mid hull stiffeners added earlier, and the beveled seam against sides. Since the new deck was much thicker it didn't line up perfectly, well it is a 15ft bass boat so I just put extra taping on the side seams to create a new "Bridge" to the side. I've hit a design block so to speak and stopped early, fixed a Turkey & Coke, and decided to update this post. See the other little boat sits with the rubrail aft, almost in the water, so my plan is to redesign the corners so as to allow the installation of the baitwell pump where it can easily be replaced by a older man. Reaching to the bottom of the bilge is going to be more problematic due to the added transom bracing. A few pictures are attached to keep up visually.

"You can't tell the brand of the boat from the insides, they all look the same". Name Branded boats of the era were just slapped together. Kinda like RV's today.

Name:  Unsealed Under Deck Wood.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  86.5 KBName:  Aft Inner Deck Skin Cleaned.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  67.3 KBName:  Aft Inner Deck Epoxied In.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  71.0 KBName:  Aft Inner Deck Epoxied In 2.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  79.9 KBName:  Aft Inner Deck Glassed Over.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  74.7 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Default Finally Flipped for Blueprinting (Re-design?)

Finally reached a point to flip boat over to see what will be required to Blueprint. As posted in a earlier post both VL100 Blazer boats I own have a 18in Hook in front of a Transom wedge so when you plane off the bow is shoved into the water. A massive Rocker is forward of the 2 Hooks & Wedges, Rockers give Bow Lift so you can see the drag being generated here. I have to trim past the gauge with 8in of setback to get the boat up. Also included is a picture of the blocking supporting the boat in the back, the front is sitting on a stack of trailer tires, the top one with 5psi to help conform to the boat. In the Pad area it is fairly straight, both strakes are tapered to the back, your supposed to leave since designed into the hull. Usually for turning. These boats turn like poorly. I'm going to have to venture into Un-Charted waters here to see if we can't get the hull to work for us instead of against us. This is a new 6ft straight edge. I saw the repair while working on the inside, the flake matches on the outside and I think it was done in the factory. Maybe they hit the boat with something. One of my Vendors stopped by and we were talking about Blazer and he said they were just bought by maybe L&M a boat yard south of Mobile, AL. Something like that. In the third picture you can see my Champion in the background with the Cap off. This Blazer was built in 1995 the Champion was built in 1996, the Champion hull is still perfectly straight.

Name:  Aft Hook and Wedge combined.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  66.4 KBName:  Brace to trailer.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  74.1 KBName:  Previous Hull Repair.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  74.9 KBName:  Straight Edge 1.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  62.4 KBName:  Straight Edge 2.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  54.7 KBName:  Straight Edge 3.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  60.9 KBName:  Straight Edge 4.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  47.4 KBName:  Straight Edge 5.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  52.4 KB
    Likes S10CHEVY, Jamesdean LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Impressive work
    The love for fishing is one of the best gifts you can pass along
    Thanks Rojo thanked you for this post

BuckeyeCrappie is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Are you planning on lowering or possibly removing the strakes?
    “If your too busy to fish, you’re too busy!” Buddy Ebsen
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    (Billbob and “G” approved!)
    Proud member of Tekeum’s Jigs Pro
    Staff

https://heavenornot.net/

heavenornot.net

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeCrappie View Post
    Are you planning on lowering or possibly removing the strakes?
    I was looking to add them, that's why the Champ is in the shop for reference material. Champion built one of the best bass boat designs for open water (Reservoir Boats), management killed them. The measurements off the Champion left little room on such a narrower hull to begin with for adding strakes. So the Pad will be mapped out from the Champion to the Blazer, my reasoning's is although the Champ pad is on a larger boat the added width on the Blazer from the existing pad will provide the extra lift need to break the corners loose.
    Likes Jamesdean LIKED above post
    Thanks BuckeyeCrappie thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Default Blueprinting

Started on the port side, prepped the gelcoat for blueprinting so all the work would stick. I took my time plotting out on the hull the low spots to get my glass cut and shred the edges. No high spots to deal with on this section. I just rolled the vinylester on wetting the chop out until it was done.

After setting up but a little tacky I skimmed with the Rage/Vinylester mixture. Cutting the skimming revealed high & low spots. They were dealt with my Air File then vinylester was rolled again to fill holes and after curing it was skimmed again. Second cutting revealed the little low spots left. I'm posting this update for one reason.

For those who decide to do this, look at the pictures carefully, use sharp sandpaper and once the sandpaper is leaving scratches all the way across - level - Stop sanding. Too many people continue to sand and the paper is digging a hole in what you just filled in. The low spots are very clear, if I kept sanding until the low spots were cut I would have a Hook. Anyway the adjacent lifting strake has a high spot to sand out, nothing to fill.

Name:  1ST Layup.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  88.8 KBName:  1ST Layup Cut.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  78.2 KBName:  1ST Layup Cut then Wetout.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  83.3 KBName:  1ST Layup Cut Wetout then Skimmed.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  73.5 KBName:  Skim cut w air file showing low spots.jpg
Size:  64.7 KBName:  Skim cut w air file showing low spots2.jpg
Size:  60.5 KB
    Thanks Jamesdean thanked you for this post

BuckeyeCrappie is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, I am learning a lot reading this.
    “If your too busy to fish, you’re too busy!” Buddy Ebsen
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    (Billbob and “G” approved!)
    Proud member of Tekeum’s Jigs Pro
    Staff

https://heavenornot.net/

heavenornot.net

Post Thanks / Like

I find it very interesting but it’s all over my head. You’re doing a very good and thorough job though.

Post Thanks / Like

Learning a lot, Just not sure I'll be able to use it. If my leg isn't fixed, I'll most likely be paying for mine to be done...Just wishing the Dept. of the Navy would start paying some of the Camp Legune Claims. Dad was stationed there with the whole family between 1959 and 1962. I'm the sole seviver. My niece is claiming her mom, I have myself, and both parents claims...Come on Dept. of the navy...
    Proud to have served with and supported the Units I was in: 1st IDF, 9th INF, 558th USAAG (Greece), 7th Transportation Brigade, 6th MEDSOM (Korea), III Corp, 8th IDF, 3rd Armor Div.
    1980 Ebbtide Dyna-Trak 160 Evinrude 65 Triumph

Page 5 of 37 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast