HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Not Cooking, Figs-Eating Right off the Trees

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dexterpreacher View Post
    Beautiful fig! Haven’t had any figs for several years. Been thinking about planting one to have my own. Can you tell me how hard are they to grow? I’m from North Carolina. Thanks ✝️
    So after a few discoveries they are very easy to grow. Pelletized Lime - Crushed Oyster Shells - Rock Phosphate are the secret ingredients. You can grow there 3 varieties, Chicago Hardy, Celeste, Brown Turkey, and possibly Texas Everbearing. I had numerous trees freeze to the ground this year even young Turkey Figs. They are best planted on the South Side of a structure near concrete even better.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Micanopy View Post
    Need to keep a keen eye out for squirrels. They take one bite out of that one, a bite out of the other one, and so on. My fig tree isn’t doing very well.
    All the Tree Rats have been wiped out, they are so tough on the fruit tree production I can have them on the place.

Post Thanks / Like

Since I can palm a basket ball I thought a photo with normal figs might give a different perspective.

Name:  Black Mission Brown Turkey and Celeste Fig.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  80.1 KB

Small to large - Brown Turkey, Celeste, Mission figs
    If I die from a Deadly Sin it will be Gluttony!

"Formerly known as rojoguio"

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure about the others but I know I’ve had and like the brown Turkey. That’s one of the varieties my grandfather grew. Do the varieties taste about the same?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SuperDave336 View Post
    Not sure about the others but I know I’ve had and like the brown Turkey. That’s one of the varieties my grandfather grew. Do the varieties taste about the same?
    Most figs taste similar but the LSU Figs are all much sweeter, Black Mission - Black Italian taste stronger Fig flavor. Celeste make better mock Strawberry & Raspberry preserves & Quick Breads or Baking in general. Turkey figs make the best Fig preserves. A lot of the varieties I have are for drying. A perfectly dried fig is like Fig Newton good. Good for you too.
    If I die from a Deadly Sin it will be Gluttony!

"Formerly known as rojoguio"
    Thanks SuperDave336 thanked you for this post

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12