Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Lithium battery configurations ...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rnvinc View Post
    What was his information regarding multiple 12v batteries vs one 36v ... ??

Rickie
    Ok, y’all forgive me if I recollect our conversation wrong. But as I recall, I pitched going 3 12 volts in series to him. That’s when he told me my minnkota digital 3 bank wouldn’t work. Said it wouldn’t hurt the batteries, but he has seen them melt the fuse holders on the charger leads. Didn’t recommend using it (mk digital). Then we covered that if I went 3 12 volts in series, I was out of option if that wasn’t enough capacity. I told him I had high needs, heavy boat and wanna troll like heck…
    He said I could go 2 36 volts hooked parallel, and if that wasn’t enough, could add another in parallel. But that he doubted I’d ever use more than the 2 36’s. If so, it was same $ or cheaper to go that way, and it would run circles around a 12v series setup.
    Hope I conveyed all that accurately!

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by J White View Post
    Ok, y’all forgive me if I recollect our conversation wrong. But as I recall, I pitched going 3 12 volts in series to him. That’s when he told me my minnkota digital 3 bank wouldn’t work. Said it wouldn’t hurt the batteries, but he has seen them melt the fuse holders on the charger leads. Didn’t recommend using it (mk digital). Then we covered that if I went 3 12 volts in series, I was out of option if that wasn’t enough capacity. I told him I had high needs, heavy boat and wanna troll like heck…
    He said I could go 2 36 volts hooked parallel, and if that wasn’t enough, could add another in parallel. But that he doubted I’d ever use more than the 2 36’s. If so, it was same $ or cheaper to go that way, and it would run circles around a 12v series setup.
    Hope I conveyed all that accurateiers there is alwaysly!

The only problem I see with the 36 volt lithium's is when the BMS locks out the battery ( and it will happen ), finding 36 volt source to unlock it. Where as 3 12 volt batteries there is usually a 12 volt source handy, or a dead starting battery no way to jumper. Just my 2 cents.
    Likes blueball, grizwilson LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Double post

Post Thanks / Like

I have one big 24 volt 60ah Impulse Lithium (for terova), and a small 18ah Impulse Lithium for the finders (one live scoper, and another garmin side imager). Love them, and I never even scratch the surface of their capcities. The thing with these is it's app, you can monitor literally every electron going in or out. I never have a worry. Oh, and I have a group 27 acid filled one that does the starting and such.

Don't forget, might want to give Bill from Impulse Lithium a call (205)965-8436. Like I always say, support those that support us.
    Owner
    "Wear your PFD" "No texting n driving" slab
    Crappie.com members are the best
    Likes wannabe fisherman, Redge LIKED above post
    Thanks SuperDave336 thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bricks View Post
    The only problem I see with the 36 volt lithium's is when the BMS locks out the battery ( and it will happen ), finding 36 volt source to unlock it. Where as 3 12 volt batteries there is usually a 12 volt source handy, or a dead starting battery no way to jumper. Just my 2 cents.
    Can you explain what happens to make a BMS get “locked out”? This is the first time I’ve heard of that. To unlock it the battery, it’s fully charged voltage must be applied to the terminals? How often does that occur?

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Likes J White, Redge LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bricks View Post
    Those are good points. The ability to jump the starting battery was one of the reasons I wanted to go all 12v.
    Plus I’m a tightwad and was wanting to keep my nice, newish MK 3 bank charger. I’m thinking if I went with 3 120 AH batteries, as great as lithium is supposed to be, what are the odds I would ever need more capacity?
    Now, the locking thing, apparently I have more yet to learn. Thankfully I’m looking at doing my tm setup next year, so more time to research.

Likes blueball LIKED above post

tlefire is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is why I went 2 12 volt......

1-can jump my starter battery if I have to
    2-something happens to one of the trollers, can use the starter battery(once I get one)
    3-or I can use a cheap lead acid to get me by for a day or two (now somebody gonna say you can't do that. The company I bought them from says no problem short term)
    4-waking the 36 volt should you run it down(can it happen,yes, will it happen, maybe not)
    5-like Rickie, I have plenty of space

When I bought mine, I don't think Bill was in business. Had he been, I probably would have went with Impulse cause he's about 45 minutes from me.
    2018 G3 Sportsman 17
    2018 Yamaha F90 four stroke
    Ultra 106sv bow/console
    Livescope Terrova 24v Ionic lithium batteries

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Slab View Post
    I have one big 24 volt 60ah Impulse Lithium (for terova), and a small 18ah Impulse Lithium for the finders (one live scoper, and another garmin side imager). Love them, and I never even scratch the surface of their capcities. The thing with these is it's app, you can monitor literally every electron going in or out. I never have a worry. Oh, and I have a group 27 acid filled one that does the starting and such.

Don't forget, might want to give Bill from Impulse Lithium a call (205)965-8436. Like I always say, support those that support us.
    On the bluetooth phone app - can you reset the bms with it? Been scouring net for an hour and haven’t found an answer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by J White View Post
    On the bluetooth phone app - can you reset the bms with it? Been scouring net for an hour and haven’t found an answer

Not that I can see Jeffy. Try giving Bill a call and ask, super nice guy. I'm sure he can answer all your questions.
    Owner
    "Wear your PFD" "No texting n driving" slab
    Crappie.com members are the best
    Thanks J White thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Ok. From my whirlwind research bout. The most likely way the 36v
    (or any of them) is gonna lock-go to sleep- have to be woke- is if you run it completely down till it cuts off. Or, store it in a low state of charge and it discharges to that point. If you have the right onboard charger, it will have the ability to wake the battery and charge just by plugging up to AC.
    So that doesn’t seem too worrisome?
    It does worry me a little about getting my Ulterra stuck deployed out on the lake. But that’s a possibility with any batteries. But if I buy ample capacity, and keep an eye on things w the bluetooth app on my phone, that shouldn’t be a problem. Speaking of the Ulterra, I almost wish I hadn’t went that route. I did buy it because I fish by myself, in rough water sometimes, and I’m pretty clumsy sometimes with my peg leg. Thought the auto deploy/stow might keep me from an unplanned swim. I do have a plan, I put it on a quick detach mount when I installed it. If I ever end up with it stuck down, I have the option to roll the whole mess over into the boat with it still deployed, and deal with it when I get home.

Likes blueball, grizwilson LIKED above post

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast