HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mounting a trolling motor

Post Thanks / Like

Site Maintenance
    Rite tight trolling motor bolts at Bass Pro. The link works. Not sure why it appears this way
    The love for fishing is one of the best gifts you can pass along

Post Thanks / Like

I've used those and do work well. But over time any vibration starts cutting the rubber

Sent from my SM-G975U using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

I can see that. I have used Riv nuts for rod holders and things on my aluminum boat. I used them to redo the rod hold bases they have worked well for me.

Post Thanks / Like

I have become a fan of rivots. I just was hoping there was a bracket of some kind

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe some research will turn one up. They make some brackets for pontoon boats.

Post Thanks / Like

I went with an R&R sliding bracket for my Terrova so I could slide it back when launching/loading without hitting the TM on the winch. I managed to get 5 flat head bolts in. For the forward two, I used a 24” breaker bar with the nut secured in the socket with a small piece of electrical tape to keep it from moving around. My wife slowly turned the bolts from above until the threads caught and then cranked them down with a drill while I held onto the breaker bar for dear life.

The mounting plate only my aluminum Triton would only allow me to get 3 bolts anchored so I marked where I could get a 4th through the deck and drilled/chamfered a hole so that I could get a solid four bolts into the bracket. That thing didn’t move.
    Likes blueball LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

When I redid an 18' mod V I used these to mount my seat pedestal on bracket I attached to the ribs.
    PLUSNUT® | Bollhoff PLUSNUT® | RIVNUT® PLUSNUT® (rivetnutusa.com)

links to amazon for nuts and tool.
    Nuts
    Amazon.com: S25MG280 Steel PRE-BULBED Shank, Multi-Grip Rivet-NUT Gold ZINC Finish, 1/4-20 X .020-.280 Grip Range (Pack of 25) : Industrial & ScientificTool

Tool

Amazon.com: Astro Pneumatic Tool 1450 13" Plusnut and Extra-Long Rivet Nut Setter Kit Metric & SAE : Automotive

A little expensive for a one time use, but since I was completly redoing a whole boat it was worth it to me. The tool will do rivnuts also, it came in very handy for working on the boat.

I have plenty of the Plusnuts left if you need a couple. I'd be willing to lend the tool to you if you want to pay shipping, although the shipping would probably end up being about half the cost of the tool.

Here is a link that has info on making a DIY version of a setting tool if you are only going to be doing a couple.
    Best plusnut setting tool | Sprinter-Source.com
    Last edited by zekepa; 04-21-2022 at 02:55 PM. Reason: added info
    Thanks catchNgrease thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

That's a really good option. Didn't know that existed

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zekepa View Post
    When I redid an 18' mod V I used these to mount my seat pedestal on bracket I attached to the ribs.
    PLUSNUT® | Bollhoff PLUSNUT® | RIVNUT® PLUSNUT® (rivetnutusa.com)

links to amazon for nuts and tool.
    Nuts
    Amazon.com: S25MG280 Steel PRE-BULBED Shank, Multi-Grip Rivet-NUT Gold ZINC Finish, 1/4-20 X .020-.280 Grip Range (Pack of 25) : Industrial & ScientificTool

Tool

Amazon.com: Astro Pneumatic Tool 1450 13" Plusnut and Extra-Long Rivet Nut Setter Kit Metric & SAE : Automotive

A little expensive for a one time use, but since I was completly redoing a whole boat it was worth it to me. The tool will do rivnuts also, it came in very handy for working on the boat.

I have plenty of the Plusnuts left if you need a couple. I'd be willing to lend the tool to you if you want to pay shipping, although the shipping would probably end up being about half the cost of the tool.

Here is a link that has info on making a DIY version of a setting tool if you are only going to be doing a couple.
    Best plusnut setting tool | Sprinter-Source.com
    There goes another tool I will end up buying. They would be much sturdier than standard rivnuts

Post Thanks / Like

I am now thinking of a project in the boat or in the shop, that I need that tool for.

Sent from my HD1925 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast