Quote Originally Posted by John Scott View Post
I do not know much about engineering or spinning reel anatomy, so please excuse me if this is a rookie question...

Randy, how do you know that the spool sits on a bushing instead of a bearing? Like you said, there is not a lot of detailed info on the Daiwa Japan website.

And would this bushing have something to do with the reel being designed for salt water? Would the bearing be more vulnerable to sand and salt?

Do you think this reel is really worth over 50,000 yen?

I also wonder if this will be like last year's Luvias, with a first run made in Japan before shifting production to China...

Scott
I think by using the name "Luvias Airity" it is differentiating the 2 Luvias models.....and that the Airity will be solely made in Japan. The Airity also offers a 1000 size reel unlike the Luvias. If you watch the video from Plat you will see the bushing when he takes the spool off. It is at the 1:48 mark in the video......a white nylon bushing at base of spool shaft. Nothing wrong with bushings in general but bearings are better. I am already thinking of purchasing this reel....but like you I am wondering about the price. A 1000 series Exist is 65,000 yen vs the 51,000 for the Airity. The Luvias Airity has 2 more bearings than the Luvias and yet they have decreased the weight by 5 grams. Not to mention the 1000 series Airity has a 4.9 ratio....which is right up my alley. Going to think long and hard but I am liking it right now.

Regards

2020 DAIWA LUVIAS AIRITY - YouTube