Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Evinrude production stopped

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Evinrude built a good product starting 1935.
    OMC got them and introduced a poorly designed direct injection fuel system (U.S. emissions law) that caused damaged power heads and reputation. Then Japan entered the picture with high quality engines that are very reliable. Still are. Mercury jumped right in.
    Same thing happened with autos. After WWII Dr. W. Edwards Deming taught Japan the Quality Process and they took it to heart. Very meticulous people. Forced GM, Ford & Chrysler to pay attention, learn and use the Quality Process and improve their product.
    The deal is, produce Quality or die.
    QUALITY = Meeting the customer's expectations, every time. Nothing more. Very simple.
    What do you expect from your boat motor? You buy the one that meets those expectations. (I hope)
    RIP Evinrude. It wasn't their fault.
    I'll smoke just about anything (in my smoker)
    The fishing is always great. The catching varies.
    Likes Speck, SpeckledSlab LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by peculiarmike View Post
    Evinrude built a good product starting 1935.
    OMC got them and introduced a poorly designed direct injection fuel system (U.S. emissions law) that caused damaged power heads and reputation. Then Japan entered the picture with high quality engines that are very reliable. Still are. Mercury jumped right in.
    Same thing happened with autos. After WWII Dr. W. Edwards Deming taught Japan the Quality Process and they took it to heart. Very meticulous people. Forced GM, Ford & Chrysler to pay attention, learn and use the Quality Process and improve their product.
    The deal is, produce Quality or die.
    QUALITY = Meeting the customer's expectations, every time. Nothing more. Very simple.
    What do you expect from your boat motor? You buy the one that meets those expectations. (I hope)
    RIP Evinrude. It wasn't their fault.
    Does this mean Johnson is done too? I'm happy with my big Johnson. My 1956 18hp was not as reliable for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Baitwaster View Post
    Does this mean Johnson is done too? I'm happy with my big Johnson. My 1956 18hp was not as reliable for me.
    You must keep up with outboard news as bad as me. "...
    Bombardier stopped selling outboards under the Johnson brand after 2007..."
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnson_Outboards

no telling what else I have missed or forgotten....
    g

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LadyBear View Post

g
    BRP is the corporation that owns the Evinrude brand, they also have bought Alumacraft and Manitou boat companies in the USA, as well as Telwater boats in Australia.
    Pass the "Sportsman Baton" on before you're gone, promote values for others to hunt and fish upon.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LadyBear View Post

g
    Hah, looks like it. I always thought of Johnson as having more brand recognition. I just assumed if they were making Evinrude, then they must still be making Johnson. Not making either sure changes the impact of this news!

Post Thanks / Like

The highest non-military award given in Japan, I believe still is named after Williams Edwards Demings. Great teacher, there used to some good PBS specials with him back in the 1980’s. He tried to hard to show our industry leaders that what he had implemented was working, but most didn’t listen early enough. I believe the United States Navy was one of the first stateside to use his managerial theories.
    Pass the "Sportsman Baton" on before you're gone, promote values for others to hunt and fish upon.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SpeckledSlab View Post
    The highest non-military award given in Japan, I believe still is named after Williams Edwards Demings. Great teacher, there used to some good PBS specials with him back in the 1980’s. He tried to hard to show our industry leaders that what he had implemented was working, but most didn’t listen early enough. I believe the United States Navy was one of the first stateside to use his managerial theories.
    Ah! Another Quality believer. It works.
    Those who do not know it rarely survive. Those who do prosper. It applies to anything.
    I'll smoke just about anything (in my smoker)
    The fishing is always great. The catching varies.