HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Loosing Fish pulling Cranks

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think anybody has said this yet, but how are your boated fish hooked up in relation to the fish? Basically, are they hooked to the rear treble but deep, or just at the lip or lips, or is the bait fully swallowed or half way swallowed?

Sometimes these fish will short strike, just like on a jig, and their paper mouths can't take the resistance while cranking. So, if alot of your fish are getting hooked on the rear treble, try slowing down some. And the same for swallowing whole, you might gain by speeding up some. Regardless, the number one rule is don't change nothing if you keep catching boating fish!!!

And lastly, disregard anybody that mentioned keeping your rod tip down when reeling them in!! Rod tip up, high noon, and a nice steady pace. If they go under, don't panic, slowly work them back up on top. Good steady pressure and pace. They will try to shake off from time to time, just stay the course. And never never never turn your trolling motor off!!

Good luck...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Likes "G", Crappie Chatt LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bandchaser View Post
    I don't think anybody has said this yet, but how are your boated fish hooked up in relation to the fish? Basically, are they hooked to the rear treble but deep, or just at the lip or lips, or is the bait fully swallowed or half way swallowed?

Sometimes these fish will short strike, just like on a jig, and their paper mouths can't take the resistance while cranking. So, if alot of your fish are getting hooked on the rear treble, try slowing down some. And the same for swallowing whole, you might gain by speeding up some. Regardless, the number one rule is don't change nothing if you keep catching boating fish!!!

And lastly, disregard anybody that mentioned keeping your rod tip down when reeling them in!! Rod tip up, high noon, and a nice steady pace. If they go under, don't panic, slowly work them back up on top. Good steady pressure and pace. They will try to shake off from time to time, just stay the course. And never never never turn your trolling motor off!!

Good luck...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    90% of the fish we boated were lip hooked on back treble.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2004Rhino View Post
    90% of the fish we boated were lip hooked on back treble.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    That tells me that either they were not in a very aggressive mood, or you were going just a tad bit too fast. My guess would be the former, or possibly a combination of the two. Who knows ... maybe next time it'll be a whole other story.
    Likes "G" LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

When I'm fishing by my self I tend to skip,em, and keep the trolling speed up.....But after fishing with my wife for 28 years this is what I've observed.

The only time her rod tip is up is if she casts, we've got rod holders but she likes to feel the bite,so she sits backwards with the rod straight out the back of the boat.(sigh) When she hooks a fish she tells me to slow down,(I do) she reels slowly with the rod tip down only lifting it as the fish slips into the net. She puts about 8 out of 10 in boat(walleye and crappie) with her methods. I used to try and change her ways,but I gave up about 27 years ago.lol
    Likes Mike1234 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Central Minn View Post

The only time her rod tip is up is if she casts, we've got rod holders but she likes to feel the bite,so she sits backwards with the rod straight out the back of the boat.(sigh) When she hooks a fish she tells me to slow down,(I do) she reels slowly with the rod tip down only lifting it as the fish slips into the net.
    I see people doing this quite a bit, but I don't get it. It's like hand-lining the fish. Why not use the rod to fight the fish?
    Likes "G", Crappie Chatt LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

While were on cranks, what are your go to colors and approx. what month or water temp do you stop the cranks and go back to the jigs?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deathb4disco View Post
    I see people doing this quite a bit, but I don't get it. It's like hand-lining the fish. Why not use the rod to fight the fish?
    You don't want to fight them too much, there's a reason why they're called PAPER MOUTH
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer

Post Thanks / Like

Well, let's see... you have been advised to reel slowly, and reel fast. Use mono for stretch and use braid because it doesn't matter. Troll slower or your speed is fine... or even troll faster.
    Use a more limber rod and use a stiffer rod.

I think all the bases have been about covered.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like

All methods are correct depending on the fish catch at the time - LOL!!

Sent from my SM-G530P using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by T_om View Post
    Well, let's see... you have been advised to reel slowly, and reel fast. Use mono for stretch and use braid because it doesn't matter. Troll slower or your speed is fine... or even troll faster.
    Use a more limber rod and use a stiffer rod.
    So, it's a typical CDC thread.

Now all we need is for somebody to bump this thread in about ten years.
    Likes wannabe fisherman, Redge LIKED above post

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast