Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What kind of fuel to use?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What kind of fuel to use?

My Father recently bought a boat that has a Yamaha 150 fourstroke with very low hours. What gas would you guys recommend? Any Yamaha 150 boaters out there that can give us your advice. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

My good friend had a boat with twin 200 yamahas and he swore by ethanol free gas. My boat actually sat this past fall for a month without being run, the longest my boat has ever gone without hitting the water. It ran so bad for the first 15 minutes that I thought it was something more serious. It was just the ethanol gas. Since then I will only put ethanol free gas in it. It's more expensive and out of my way but I'm willing to sacrifice just to get it. I've cleaned the rust out of the carburetors on my lawn mower, pressure washer and everything everything else that sits any amount of time. Adding ethanol was the worst idea they've ever had for gas.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a suzuki df140. I normally run 89 non ethanol and mix Star TronEnzyme Fuel Treatment in with it. If I can't find non ethanol I'll run 93 with star tron. The 4 strokes are fuel injected so ethanol fuels are not as bad as they are on carbureted engines. I just wouldn't run 87. Fuel stabilizers and additives definitely help keep the engine clean.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    YOU CAN'T CATCH THEM ALL ......... BUT YOU SURE CAN TRY!!!!!!!!
    Likes buzzbait LIKED above post

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

If you look under cowl I think there might be a sticker with recommended fuel. New 4 strokes are like new cars. Designed to run on lower octane ethanol fuel. Like others though if it's going to sit for awhile use some kind of additive.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Likes swamprat, buzzbait LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I've been guiding and commercial fishing for over 25 years now. My friend that owns a evinrude and Yamaha dealership told me about a product called sta-bil marine 360. I put one ounce per 6 gallons of gas in by boat , lawn mower , weed eaters etc. you can crank anything after sitting for long periods of time with out any trouble. It has proven to be the best stabilizer for gas that I have ever used. Try it and if you don't like it I'll buy it from you. It works. He also said to stay away from ethanol gas period it will eat the inside lining of your gas line and cause trash to get in your carbs. Jmo

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Likes Redge LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I mix about 30 percent or so non ethanol with regular gas. The non ethanol you find around here is usually premium or 93 octane. This lowers the overall ethanol percentage. I also use a stabilzer. If you have any type of metal in your gas tank you need a stabilzer to avoid the ethanol from eating away at the metal as it evaporates. It also helps with the fuel separating to some degree.

Post Thanks / Like

Everyone has told you well. Al Gore shafted us with the ethanol crap. It will ruin the gas lines and carburetor gaskets on any 2 cycle or 4 cycle in time, especially sitting up. Grandpa used to say...the best you can buy in gas is sorry enough!! Smiles, G
    Likes roach1 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

It depends on how old the fuel line is that you have on the boat. If it was from the pre-ethanol days, you will want to replace it, I had lots of trouble with gummed up carbs when the fuel was switched. The ethanol would break down those lines, and bulbs, and cause particulates, and other rubber compounds to make it to the carb bowl. If those built up, you would have an issue.

I put a new fuel line on about 7 years ago, put a little seafoam in the fuel, and have never had another issue, all I run is Shell 89.
    Fishing is a science, study, experiment, fail, and succeed...then start over tomorrow. Yeah I'm a science guy.
    03 18ft Xpress Jon boat Center console 90 HP 4stroke Yamaha Humminbird 1199HD SI
    97 14ft Polar Kraft Jon boat 85 Johnson 30hp Lowrance Elite 5 DSI

Post Thanks / Like

Ethanol in fuel,,,UUUGLY subject!!!!! Many answers,all wrong,,,LOL...All correct.no perfect answer.How many of you are old enough to remember the term Gassahol,,,Yep we all started running Ethanol in gas WAY back in about 1975,and never stopped.My 1990 Johnson GT175,that I bought new still has the original fuel lines on it,yep all of them.The 1990 model fuel lines,VRO pump,every piece is labled ethanol resistant.Yep that was before Al Gore was even vice president.All that aside ethanol is not terrible in moderate amounts and regular use.Big trouble comes when a wholesaler adds too much at the distribution point,That does eat fuel lines up quickly.When I am using my boat regular I am not too much concerned with ethanol.Storage time getting close to the end of the season I only fill up with ethanol free gas.28 yrs and counting NOT any problems.I do not use any ethanol containing gas in my small engines,lawnmower,weedeater,and such..

Post Thanks / Like

I have a F150 yami. I wish I had a non-ethanol supplier near me as that is all I would run. Unfortunately I don't so run 93 only. You can run 87 or better. After seeing what 10% ethanol did with my dirtbikes, I really think it is the best fuel. Unfortunately, I don't have the know how to do my own on my outboard work like I did with dirtbikes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast