HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: robbery

Post Thanks / Like

What to carry is a personal preference and depends a lot on how deeply concealed you need the pistol to be. IMO there's really no need in owning a pistol unless you're gonna carry one. I carry at work, at home, at church, everywhere except the shower.

Post Thanks / Like

Only place I don’t carry is work which isn’t my choice. But yeah what’s comfortable for u may not be for someone else

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com

Spaceman is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bcline View Post
    What’s everyone’s preferred carry weapon? Just curious

Bcline:

Thanks for asking this question. So now I can get on my soap box for a moment...please bear with me and take my response in the spirit it is intended for all those that may read this thread.

1. I am a 100% supporter of gun rights.
    2. Concealed carry is not a "badge of honor". It is a badge of "privilege and responsibility". There is great responsibility (legal too) that comes with the right to carry a weapon. I come blessed with a special operations background where there are few scenarios I have not trained for in numerous shoot house situations (CQB drills).
    3. In Alabama, it is very easy to get a permit to conceal carry. That does not mean a person with a permit is well-trained, knowledgeable, or responsible. Sorry but I have seen a few I don't think should have a weapon. For those with little experience, I recommend a training course with a reputable certified instructor. It is a good investment.
    4. No one weapon is a good fit for every person. Level of experience, reason for carrying, how it is intended to be carried, etc. These are some factors to consider.
    5. There are situations where a revolver is a better weapon for some individuals vice a semi-automatic.
    6. I certainly am a fan of a particular brand...Sig Sauer but I am not necessarily advocating this brand for anyone. Depending on time of year, I can conceal carry a full-size semi with a shoulder harness or a sub-compact with an inside the waist band holster.
    7. In addition to a training course for those with little experience, I also recommend anyone considering conceal carry get with a friend on a range, try a few different weapons to start getting a feel for what is comfortable.

If one is new to weapons, take your time to find what is comfortable for you.

Thanks for allowing the diatribe. Conceal carry is a great privilege with big responsibilities.

Enjoy!
    Triton 190FS, 200hp Optimax, HB 798C HD & War Eagle 548LDV, HiTek, 30hp Mercury, HB 998C HD
    Fishing is a privilege...catching is a bonus. Enjoy each precious moment we have to experience our great outdoors!

Redge is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2017 Man Of The Year
    Post Thanks / Like

Default robbery

Quote Originally Posted by kellerqx View Post
    Was just reading where someone was going to be robbed on a hiking trail and a pistol evened the score, well....not really evened more like changed the advantage point. Guess I really need to start packing something. Any suggestions on what?
    Spaceman covered all the important thoughts.
    My recommendation is, get something you’ll want to carry everyday.
    It’s important that it’s easy for you, right size, right place to carry, and practice practice practice.
    You want it to be like your favorite fishing reel, you don’t have to think about how to operate it. It’s part of you.
    It’s not going to do you any good sitting at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Proud Member of Team Geezer!
    Likes Spaceman, Broncosfantulsa LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Spaceman has some very valid points, and I feel obligated to chime in.

I believe very strongly that every citizen has the right to defend themselves... BUT,

I also feel very strongly that each responsible carrier should get themselves training!

If not.... you are a much bigger liability than asset, and will probably never clear your holster. I don't care how many Utube videos you've watched, or the situations you've imagined... it won't ever happen like you've "pictured." I used to be one of those.... then I went and got training. You "don't know" what you "don't know."

Expensive? Yes. But worth every cent!

Be careful out there fellas... it's a dangerous world.

Beavz
    Likes Spaceman, Redge, Broncosfantulsa LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I completely agree with training

Post Thanks / Like

Training I agree, but where is one to look for certified trainers? Gun shops, state run training, shooter clubs, and what kinda of certifications do you look for? Any thoughts, maybe toss out some specifics, I would love to get the family trained up.

Post Thanks / Like

Training is a great plan, especially if you are new to owning a handgun. For a new owner, I would definitely recommend a revolver. They are more simple and less likely to malfunction. If you've sent a few thousand rounds down the pipe, then go with a single stack semi auto for concealed carry.

Two things I ask everyone I talk to about carrying...

First thing: You have to sit down and decide if you can take someones life to protect your own, or your family. I mean really, deeply think about it. Think about living with that on your mind for the rest of your life. If you can't with 100% certainty say that yes, you could shoot to kill if it came to it, then DO NOT get a handgun. I talked one of my sis in laws out of getting one because she said she'd just shoot to scare an attacker or burglar. If you try that crap, they'll take the handgun away and kill you with it. We wound up finding her a tazer.

2nd thing: Practice until you can fire, reload, clear a Fail To Fire and then fire with your eyes closed. Until your shooting stops being concious and starts being driven by muscle memory, you aren't ready.

I've never killed anyone but I have had to draw my pistol once. I still get a little nauseous thinking about it. I could have pulled the trigger but I'm glad I didn't have to.

Post Thanks / Like

Training I agree, but where is one to look for certified trainers? Gun shops, state run training, shooter clubs, and what kinda of certifications do you look for? Any thoughts, maybe toss out some specifics, I would love to get the family trained up.
    Call the CMP (Civilian Marksmanship Program) range in Talladega and ask them for referrals. NRA does some training but I don't have a schedule.
    Likes Slabprowler, Broncosfantulsa LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I personally recommend Tactical Response in Camden Tennessee. I've taken fighting pistol (2x,) and fighting rifle once. Each is a two day coarse, shooting approximately 1000 rounds. James Yeager is very coarse, opinionated, and "in your face." I don't care for his language, or agree with him on every instance... BUT, I consider his teachings of pistol manipulation to be "SPOT ON!"
    The classes I've attended have had women, girls as young as early teens, handicapped individuals, those who've fired a pistol only once, former & current military, old and young, and even Michigan state police officers.
    I drove 5 hours each time, and would cover twice that distance after receiving that caliber of training.

This is not "this is a pistol, shoot three times in the black and receive a certificate."

These coarses prepare for real life self defense situations.... from the instant you touch your weapon, all the way through the aftermath of trial. (I personally carry 1 million self defense insurance in the event I'm forced to defend someones life with a weapon.)

If you decide to take one of his classes, be sure to look up and buy a Lula to take with you.... big burly men will BEG YOU to use it half way through the second day!

You might check out his Tube channel, but be forewarned..... the language is abrupt!

Regards,

Beavz
    Likes John Doe LIKED above post
    Thanks rcfillingham thanked you for this post

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast