HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Fish finders for kayak

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

I wanted something easy and portable. I bought one of those ammo boxes and put the battery inside and attached a Ram mount on top to be able to attach and de-attach the unit to. Then drilled a couple holes plugged with rubber grommets, one for transducer cord out the side, and one for the unit on top.

For mounting the transducer: I use one of those YakAttak tube style rod holders which slides onto the track mounted on the top left side of my kayak. Then I used one of those flexible bendy bungee type of things where you can bend them around something. I run the transducer through the rod holder and attach at desired angle and depth with flexible bungee thing.

I love it because the whole set up can be easily stored, used in my other kayaks, or elsewhere, and requires no drilling or gluing in my kayaks. Best of all I like having the unit itself on a movable ram holder right at my feet to where I can easily adjust angle, view screen or touch any controls.

My description may sound complicated but it was actually very simple to make and easy to use.
    Last edited by Slow Retrieve; 10-02-2017 at 04:46 PM.
    Likes jmstoner88, halibut4me LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

That is what I have.

Quote Originally Posted by halibut4me View Post
    Thanks for update on your opinion on lowrance! Have older unit on my big boat that thinks time stamp should be years ago, so it can't find sats for good lock. Can't use gps now, but at least sonar works. Still haven't rigged kayak for ff, but not leaning towards lowrance now-a- days,once i can find time to start that project( or even use the yak). Tight lines
    There is a known GPS chip bug in some gen 2 HDS units causing this; there's a 20-page thread over on BBC Lowrance forum about it. No fix yet.
    "Alive without breath, as cold as death; never thirsty, ever drinking, all in mail never clinking."
    Thanks halibut4me thanked you for this post