HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Old River (fish/lunch)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jig rig View Post
    I think I may need to do some field testing on the 23rd
    I might do the same on the 24th. I haven't done well at Old River in years (probably since bringing 2 kids into this world the last 5 years kept me off the water more than on) but I remember the fishing being hit or miss when above 25 ft then really turning on when it got down to about 18-20. My best trip was when the level was around 18 ft and we had 68 fish in the ice chest by 11:30 after starting around 8. Might never have a trip like that again.
    Last edited by lsufan1188; 06-06-2017 at 06:13 PM.
    Likes prefers shiners, MO Slab, fishervet LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Falling pretty fast.....maybe we should launch the fleet on 6-23....
    Name:  IMG_1031.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  112.9 KB
    Romans 6:23

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MO Slab View Post
    Falling pretty fast.....maybe we should launch the fleet on 6-23....
    Name:  IMG_1031.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  112.9 KB
    Supposed to be 31 ft on the 23rd but it keeps getting pushed back. IMO that's still too high. I wouldn't try for any earlier than the 30th. If the forecast holds and it is 26-27 ft on the 30th, that'll be ideal for fishing in the button woods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Keep in mind.....the 30th is the start of 4th of July weekend
    Likes lsufan1188 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Y'all keep changing dates to accomodate the high water, and that's fine with me... I have been to Old River many times when I lived in BR, without checking the river stages, and figured out that it was a mistake... Sure would like to come down when it's right, and have someone show me how to catch em singlepolin in the brush... I have murdered the big bream there quite a few times, but the Sac a Lait not so much....

Post Thanks / Like

Keep in mind.....the 30th is the start of 4th of July weekend
    True. Maybe theFriday after. I don't see the river being low enough by the 23rd. Keep in mind the store has to shut down at 32 ft.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CliffordN View Post
    Y'all keep changing dates to accomodate the high water, and that's fine with me... I have been to Old River many times when I lived in BR, without checking the river stages, and figured out that it was a mistake... Sure would like to come down when it's right, and have someone show me how to catch em singlepolin in the brush... I have murdered the big bream there quite a few times, but the Sac a Lait not so much....
    You must have gotten lucky. I've never had a good trip with the water rising and have always been told to watch the stage even by the men at the landing. I basically grew up out there on the weekends. There is a dam that isolates Old River from the MS River but not until the stage is around 15 ft at the Baton Rouge scale. When the water is down to that level or lower you can pretty much catch big bream on the shady side of any "raft". Fly fishing for bream is a blast too. If you can make it down I'll give you as much info about the place as I can. I'm young but I've been on that river since I was in diapers and learned a lot about it from my dad and grandpa.

Last edited by prefers shiners; 06-10-2017 at 07:28 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Old River (fish/lunch)

Here's a map that shows a lot of detail. The "ballpark" is toward the bottom right. In order to fish it the river has to be at a certain stage. That's a good place to catch bream but some reason I've never had luck with sac-a-pair in there.

Likes prefers shiners LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like July 7th will be the new date for get together......river falling,reasonable level, no 4th July skiers.......let's bust some slabs ,then break bread.....meet inside store around 12:30...
    Likes lsufan1188, prefers shiners, cajun LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like July 7th will be the new date for get together......river falling,reasonable level, no 4th July skiers.......let's bust some slabs ,then break bread.....meet inside store around 12:30...
    I'm going to try to take off and make it. Hopefully the forecast holds and the weather is good.

Likes prefers shiners LIKED above post

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast