HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Inconsiderate boat operators--how should they be dealt with?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrdux View Post
    Having the guy flip me off when I was 100% in the right invoked a response that my clients heard and for which I quickly and profusely apologized. I find it bad manners to use foul language when in the presence of folks who are essentially strangers. My outburst toward the guy wasn't heard by him but was heard by my clients. For that I asked for and received their forgiveness. BTW, they all agreed with me.
    I don't think you could have handled it any better!
    I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"
    Likes Billbob, kycreek LIKED above post
    Thanks MidMsAngler thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

It seems the days of respect or self respect are long behind us in most cases. I spend a lot of time on the water here on Lake Barkley, both fishing and on my Pontoon, trying to relax. I have seen everything mentioned here on this thread. I seen boats on Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day weekends running probably upward of 75 mph or maybe even faster right through the middle pontoons anchored with kids and family's on floats, someone is going to get hurt or killed, intentionally or in-intentionally. Not sure why these guys are so arrogant, I guess it makes them feel manly when they can run a 100 mph. Anyhow, cannot fix stupid, I wish we could, just don't know why you would want to place another person's life at risk.

Post Thanks / Like

Blasting by within 20' would definitely be considered reckless operation and some very serious charges.
    It might even be considered wanton endangerment.
    You would need a go pro running to have a chance of indenrification.
    You can be held liable for damage caused by your wake.
    If you can get a picture for identification file charges and claim it caused you to drop 2 of your most expensive rods overboard.

I had jet skiers make repeated passes by my planer boards, the last guy saw the splash of the 3oz egg sinker a foot off his elbow and got the message.

I remember the day when no one would throw a wake on a fisherman, too crowded today for that but I do try to stay as far away as possible.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, about carrying a gun .
    Illegal to possess a firearm on COE property except during hunting season
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 06-05-2017 at 03:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Not worth it. Times are different these days. Best to avoid the trouble if possible but be ready if it does come at you. I am.
    Likes need2befishin, Cane Pole, crp4570 LIKED above post

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by armyman View Post
    Skeet, the go pros are a great idea, but not everybody can afford those things. What about cell phone videos, if you see an unsafe act on the water, or about to be buzzed.....is that good evidence? Everybody has a cell phone these days. I'm thinking about trying that.
    I said go pro as an example for a few reasons. There is every kind of mount and fitting available everywhere for them, and their batteries last a respectable time as best I can gather. I see other options available and should I look for a setup for my boat such as Dux uses for the reason he uses it, I would like to have a hard wired to a larger power source, a larger memory card than most folks would want, and most of all---waterproof. My thinking is; what good is a camera if the battery needs tended, or is dead and not working when you need it most. Or the memory is full. It's purpose is to protect your livelihood and customers safety. As far as price, what would be the price of your livelihood?

I also have to say that for the past 27 years I have made a living looking at people doing some really stupid things through a windshield. Nothing comes as a surprise to me when someone is holding a steering wheel, or supposed to be holding one. Not a day goes by that is without incident. Thankfully, I have been able to avoid involvement with all but a very few, and those at very low speed.
    Last edited by skeetbum; 06-05-2017 at 06:55 PM.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around
    Likes Redge, Billbob, kycreek, armyman, Cane Pole LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I find the DNR very responsive to wreck-less driving complaints. Phone it in and tell them you want to fill a complaint. Mention something about drugs or alcohol and you could get immediate action. No doubt this isn't the idiots one and only time buzzing by at dangerous speeds and distances.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Most of us have had similar things happen to us ..... I think the Go-Pro would be a good investment for someone who is on the water as a business .... it might actually take more than one to capture more of what is going on.

My brother drives an 18 wheeler and has a dash cam going anytime the rig is moving. A guy screamed onto the interstate on an on ramp and caused a multiple vehicle accident which included my brother's rig. The guy then proceeded to to try and blame the accident on my brother. The dash cam provided the truth of what happened and the guy who should have gotten the ticket did get the ticket.

If I could provide video proof of one of these idiots operating their boat in a dangerous manner I would have no reservations in doing it.

I was nearly killed by a drunk driver several years ago. Since then I have called 911 while traveling on a number of occasions to report erratic drivers ... and have been rewarded by seeing some of them pulled over.
    Likes Redge, Hanr3, fiveeyes, kycreek LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tsnell View Post
    I've often thought about getting a paint ball gun and giving that 80k Ranger a new paint job!!
    That's what I'm talking about. It would look good pink and yellow

Sent from my LGL62VL using Tapatalk
    Likes Tsnell LIKED above post

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tracker81 View Post
    That's what I'm talking about. It would look good pink and yellow

Sent from my LGL62VL using Tapatalk
    I think paying to have his boat repainted will be a lot more than the fine he's going to have to pay. Think about that before you decide to do it. They may be jerks but they're smart enough to get and use a lawyer. You may even have to pay that cost too.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast