HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Missing a lot of bites

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by try'n hard View Post
    Try cussing them
    If this worked, crappie would be extinct.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"
    Likes wannabe fisherman, fishervet, callen LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I fished today and paid closer attention to how many strikes I missed. I figure I only caught at best 1 in 3 strikes. I never broke off and did sharpen my hooks several times during the day. I caught a total of 75 fish and of that I kept 24 crappie that were 13" or better and gave 17 that were between 10" and 13" to the people that were fishing near me and returned the rest back to be caught again another day. It is my opinion that sharpening hooks improve hook set numbers greatly. Here is what I cleaned.

Name:  IMG_1736.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  68.9 KB

Here is what I use to sharpen with.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

It is a diamond hone and takes me nearly 6 seconds to sharpen a hook. The same sharpener works well on a chainsaw also.

Post Thanks / Like

So based on crappie wrangler's outing of 33% bites vs fish in the boat... my original post of missing 50% of the bites I was getting is normal??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NightShift View Post
    So based on crappie wrangler's outing of 33% bites vs fish in the boat... my original post of missing 50% of the bites I was getting is normal??
    no, sounds like both of you need to work on improving your skills if you are missing that many actual bites. just saying...
    Retired golf addict

Post Thanks / Like

It is different at different times of the year. In the summer when they are feeding heavily catch to strike ratio is much higher. This time of the year when they are on beds they are trying to chase away something they think want to eat their eggs. They are not necessarily feeding but are protecting. Which translates to more missed strives. That is of course just my opinion and it is worth all that you paid for it. I occasionly have one hit my float I assume because they consider it to close to their bed.

Post Thanks / Like

If you caught every strike you could only fish 20 minutes a day

Name:  IMG_1668.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  53.4 KB
    Likes try'n hard LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

They are short striking.... move your boat to the other side of them and try throwing your jigs from that direction. The jigs will be moving towards them and in a different direction and they will swallow it to their tater holes! Haha - no, I'm just kidding. I read these posts from work everyday and just wish I was out there missing fish!
    Likes Cane Pole LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NightShift View Post
    As others have said, I think the vast majority of your missed bites are small fish you'd never hook in a million years.

Post Thanks / Like

Try'n Hard may be on to something.

I've been on fire long poling beds, really sticking to the fish, and then missed a couple and wondered why that was that I missed a hard hit that felt like the others. I thought about the angles, and maybe they sucked in the jig head first and I set the hook with the bend coming out first instead of the point. It's possible, because I don't miss many fishing that way, when they are biting that hard.

I do have days where my hook up ratio is low. Sunday night I hooked my first 4 bites on staging fish, casting from the bank and then had just a heck of a time. I must have missed 80-90% after that. It just fell apart, heck a male on a bed came up into 12-18" deep and I saw him suck in the jig, and I still missed! Some days I'm off my game. Other days the fish don't fully commit. *

Good advice here though, if it isn't going as well as you expect it should, change something up, try something different, and know that nobody hooks them all every time.

*- On a side note Sunday I was getting more hits without a crappie nibble, than with using one. Odd, but there was a difference that day.
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 04-19-2017 at 11:19 AM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast