HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gather the Yaks... Lets fish!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tracker22 View Post
    I know exactly what your looking for. Blue Heron Marina, Carterville, IL. Crab Orchard, Little Grassy, Cedar Lake, Lake of Egypt, all within a thirty minute drive. Kincaid and Rend are nearby.
    You got it, Tracker22!! Those are all on my list of consideration. Additionally, I fished the strip mine pits over by New Athens a few times, last year, doing well on the "less accessed lakes", chasing bass, bluegills and catfish! Now that I have basics in kayaking under my belt, I'm looking to try crappie and may be other lakes! Are you a kayak'er as well?
    A challenge for me is not having a fish finder, as of yet. Still work on the fling it and guess method of finding crappie. Though I do study the topo maps if available, prior to getting out to fish. Along with sight seeing the shore areas as I paddle, I typically do o.k. and have fun either way.
    As noted before, looking for a few boats to get together, thinking safety and just more fun with others to fish with. Let me know if you want to pick a date, having some weekends open in May, all of June and most all of July.
    If you like mid-week fishing better, that's an option, just need more lead time to plan to get away from work! (time to burn! Use it or Loose it time!)
    Thanks for the info.
    Flitrap

Post Thanks / Like

A Great spot for Kayak launching and accessing Crab Orchard would be at the Crab Orchard Recreation Park, off of N. Wolf Creek Road! You have the roadway crossing the lake, with access to rip-rap and shore line the would be sheltered from wind on one side or the other. Then in there is a lot of timber and pasture type shore line in the area and a bit off the main lake to get out of traffic.

Will be one spot to try for sure. Anyone fished the upper lake in the spring?
    Check it out on Google Earth.... really looking good for launching either of two spots with parking. Guessing fish early with limited trailer parking though!

Even if crappie are slow, it looks like a wild area to do some jug fishing for catfish! I care a milk crate full of jug rigs for just that reason, sometimes! Set them and go chase crappie. Keep an eye out for "runners!
    Lots of fun in chasing with a kayak!
    Last edited by FliTrap; 04-07-2017 at 09:33 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FliTrap View Post
    So, I know you two "Western Mo." guys are all about talking Crappie fishing.... But you two appear to have high jacked my my thread! You see... This thread (if you check out the 1st post)was started to address the possibility of a few persons to get together in the Southern Illinois or maybe, far South East corner of Missouri, to fish! I enjoy your own plans to gather some 200 miles from the specified area, but your posting seems to be monopolizing the original thread!
    Its really easy to start another thread of conversation or even message between the two of you, thus reducing the confusion here with the original target of fishers! I mean no harm! Just trying to get this thread back on track.
    Take care and tight lines!
    Just trying to be friendly and inclusive.
    Likes canebreaker LIKED above post
    Thanks TwainGang thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I have a kayak but mine is powered. As you may know, crappie fishing is all about location, location, location. Luckily, this time of year you can find them along the banks. Shoot me a pm when you lock down a date.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123