HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Nasty fall

Post Thanks / Like

Fishing can heal...trick is to get in the boat..I have never hurt this bad..pain is a little better...until I try to move?...I dont think there is allot you can do, but let them heal naturally...Dr. Gave me a muscle relaxer, and an antibiotic...VERY few pain pills..will be out of everything on wendsday...first thing I am going to do when I feel better is get a set of steps!!! This could have been worse...Bones break easier than they used too.. Sure hated to miss Washington...
    Likes blueball LIKED above post

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrdux View Post
    I figured at my age and physical limitations, it was much cheaper to put a set of steps on my trailer tongue than it was to pay for a visit to Dr or ER. I built these myself out of 2 1/2" square tubing and scrap stuff I had around the shop. I'm no pro welder but I stuck it all together with my wire-feed till I got what I wanted then came back with my stick welder and made it rock solid. Probably got $50 in the whole deal. No telling how many folks I've seen take pics of my set-up at the ramp.

I also have a Drotto latch system for my boat but the low water makes it really hard to use on most local ramps so I took it off till summer pool.

Looks great Doug...I like the hand hold post also
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

Not much that can be used around here to build steps for my trailer without buying new material.
    My son and I went to an auction in Byhalia saturday. We got there early to view the items and set a price we would pay for each. One item was a pallet of used 3"X12' channel iron. Not knowing the price of metal we set our price at $200, bought it for $40. I'll be looking at designs of steps to choose the one I want to build, most likely a 4 step model.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a good buy. 3" might be a little over kill but for the price I would use it too. I have been know to way over design as well. I used to build and modify equipment on the farm and when I finished my dad would say" It will work if the tires will carry it." Show us a picture when you get it built.
    Likes "G", Snubby, Rees Guide, canebreaker LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I know what you mean. I love to fabricate things in my shop. I have 3 welders, torch,bandsaw, cold saw and several grinders and I love using them.

Post Thanks / Like

Guys..thread is drifting...
    Likes canebreaker LIKED above post

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by "G" View Post
    Looks great Doug...I like the hand hold post also
    Thanks G. That hand-hold post is why there is a spot of paint gone off my RipTide. Every now and then I come in a little hot onto the trailer.I would never consider using the steps without the hand-hold. I got the idea for them from Kenny R and the late Big Dude on the KY Forum.

My Dad was a scrap aluminum/copper/etc trader for years. He picked that piece of square aluminum tubing up somewhere. It had been bent and was of no use to the owner. Dad threw it off the truck into his shop years ago. When I was welding up the steps at his shop (where I keep my buzz-box), I saw it and threw it in my truck. When I checked it for possible use on the step project, I figured it being bent would make it unusable. Ends up it was the exact length I needed and the bend was absolutely perfect for the job. Saved me a bunch of trial-and-error. I never have luck like that.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff
    Likes canebreaker, "G" LIKED above post

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by canebreaker View Post
    Not much that can be used around here to build steps for my trailer without buying new material.
    My son and I went to an auction in Byhalia saturday. We got there early to view the items and set a price we would pay for each. One item was a pallet of used 3"X12' channel iron. Not knowing the price of metal we set our price at $200, bought it for $40. I'll be looking at designs of steps to choose the one I want to build, most likely a 4 step model.
    I might have gotten away with 3 steps but that bottom step is a welcome relief to tried ol' knees, especially getting in the boat. I've seen some custom jobs that had the bottom step much too low for my liking and 3 step model that had the bottom step way too high.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KnightShadow10 View Post
    Guys..thread is drifting...
    Don, how you feeling now, getting better?
    We have drifted a bit, from buying ready made to building.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not a builder..Am trying to decide the best option for me to buy.. I am clueless on this step thing.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast