Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Stick steer or side console?

Post Thanks / Like

I have a stick steer Bass Tracker Panfish 16 and love it for the way I fish, which most of the time is by myself. The only drawback, as far as I am concerned, is the motor size on most stick steers. My boat has a 40HP and I wish I had a 50 or 60 HP. Anyway, good luck with whichever boat you choose.
    The Lord is good. His mercy and love endures forever.
    Likes dbeam, riverrat318 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Stick steer is the way to go as the ageing process takes place. Once you are settled in your boat with a stick steer, there is no climbing around, up and down back and forth in your boat. I have had both styles and would always keep the stick steer now.

Post Thanks / Like

Thx for the feedback.....age is not an issue yet(I'm 37)...but I can see how a stick steer would be better for a crappie angler in his "golden years".....lol
    I have been checking Craig's list,looks like I may have a side console in my future.There just isn't many used SS boats for sale,and trying to purchase used....I'll get a SS when I hit 60,Lord willing!
    Romans 6:23

Post Thanks / Like

I like my Stick Steer. It's good for one person fishing mostly with an occasional second person. This is how I set up
    Name:  IMAG0597.jpg
Views: 4608
Size:  43.0 KB
    Spinning rod, bass rod on shelf to left (the bass rod in rod holder I lay on floor by stick). Rag and crappie nibbles on floor (left front). 10' jig rod on shelf to right, 2 or 3 small tackle bags on floor or right. Large tackle bag behind seat. There is a storage compartment on deck in front of me with a bunch of small misc. items.
    Name:  IMAG0602.jpg
Views: 2643
Size:  62.8 KB
    Red cooler (drinks and food) and larger blue cooler (fish box) are both within reach on my right side. If I want to use live well I spin seat around to left and it's within reach. If I use shiners the bucket w/air pump goes on floor on my left side. I reach to my front to grab the trolling motor rope.

All in all it's pretty handy. Fully loaded w/full tank and me (just over 250) The Merc 40 HP 2 stroke will top out about 28. I normally run 20 - 23 GPS and get very good fuel mileage. Would like to have more HP but...I've never seen a 20 mph bass or crappie yet.
    Likes dbeam LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Nice pics GB. I have both and can confirm the rough ride in a light chop, BUT a Sticksteer boat is a dream in slick water, bayous etc. with shorter boatrides. Sticksteer is also hard to beat running jugs or yoyos - works well by your self. Keep your eye pealed for the older fiberglass versions and buy a distressed rig and fix it up.

Post Thanks / Like

Personally I've never owned a stick steer or fished out of one. I've had a console for the past 7 years and I won't own anything else. I've not yet reached my golden years so the back and forth doesn't matter to me. I don't move that much anyway. I had my live well doors turned around when I bought it so no I just leave my doors open and I can throw a fish from the front deck to the livewell. I normally fish by myself so it's nice to have the room. I also wanted the hp to get off the lake if a storm were to come up or something of that nature. A stick steer just doesn't offer that hp.

"Keep talkin smack and I'll make ya famous !!!"
    B&L Marine Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I know this is an old thread, but thought I would add my 2 cents.

For boats under 18ft, the stick steer makes lots of sense as far as maximizing the amount of useable space. Being able to fish and operate the boat motor, and trolling motor from one spot is very nice.

I own both a Stick Steer and a Side Console boats. One has an outboard Jet, the other a Prop. My Stick Steer is a 16ft Xpress and my side console is a 17ft Sea Ark Forecast. The stick steer is more comfortable to fish and "feels" bigger without the console taking up room. I have more open space in the middle to put stuff like tackle & coolers, and can even fish a 3rd person if absolutely necessary.

If you're fishing mostly shallow water, creeks and calmer water then the stick makes lots of sense. The side console protects you from the elements a bit more, and if you deal with open water and chop, then a console may make more sense. For me it's an easy decision, I just pick my days and don't go out on windy days. I am actually considering converting my side console boat over to stick steer.
    Likes riverrat318 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RustyHook View Post
    I used both also. I'd perfer a large bass boat. where moving around isn't a problem, but sometimes hard to get in tight areas, and there expensive. I had a smaller bass boat that had a smaller deck on front, I nearly stepped off into the water a few times and tripped over the trolling motor cables a few times also. currently I use a 15x42 Flat Bottom, tiller 25 Yam, a floor in the middle and a deck on the front.
    The older you get the more you need stick, you don't have to get up and move around as much
    Likes riverrat318 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SeaRay View Post
    I debated that question when I bought my last boat. The stick steering is no doubt the handiest since you don't have to move from the seat to fish or run the outboard.
    I have had both in the past and I now own a console steer. My reason is I am more comfortable in it in rough water. I have gotten caught a few time in really bad blows and it is hard to run a stick steer boat through a rough high chop and you will get soaked. I also find it more confortable to make long runs (which I try to avoid) with the console.
    My wife is a non-fisher but she occassionaly likes to go our for a boat ride and it is more comfortable with the 2 of us seated side by side on the bench seat behind the console.
    If all I did was short runs and only used it for fishing, the stick steer is a fishing machine.Since I can't afford 2 boats, I find the console more versatile.
    Really depends on the type of fishing and the lakes you will be on.
    SeaRay
    Well, as you can see from my signature I have changed to a stick steer boat since I posted this in 2012. I found a 16.5 ft barely used Duracraft with a 40 Yamaha and it is a really nice setup. This boat has a lot of room compared to the 16.6 Bass Tracker I had. It is true the stick steer is a rougher ride in choppy water but I have started adjusting where I launch from if there is a chance of thunder storms or bad weather so I don't have to cross big open water. My buddies love it because they don't have to move once they are seated and some of them have knee or hip issues and not having to climb on and off raised decks has made them feel safer.

Name:  IMG_20160624_1817282_rewind.jpg
Views: 1497
Size:  98.4 KBName:  IMG_20160323_1735080_rewind.jpg
Views: 2093
Size:  51.0 KB
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men
    Likes "G", NwLa sacalait, dbeam, riverrat318 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

That works right there Ray, thanks for posting.
    Randy Andres
    Likes SeaRay LIKED above post

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast