Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Drift Fishing on Kaw Lake

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the tips.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Likes brucec LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Kaw lake was not kind to me.

Got there this morning about 7am. Ended up leaving way early. While stepping from boat to dock, after unloading, I slipped on the boards and did the splits that would have made Jean Claude VanDamn proud. On foot on the dock one foot fell down into the boat so as expted my cahonas came down on the edge of the dock. That was painful but only miniscule compared to the pulled muscle in my groin.

I toughed it out though and sojurned on. Found the shad in about 10 minutes. About 10 feet down between those Towers. First throw I pulled two early and got about 30 two inchers. Kept some, in a hurry, cause the finder showed big ones under me. Threw again and when I pulled the swivel on the horn broke off and my net sunk to the bottom.

So I found what I thought might be a good spot for my newly built perch trap. This is only the second time using it. Baited and put it out and went fishing elsewhere with my 15 or so baby shad. They were worthless, something kept sucking them off the hook and leaving the heads only. Switched over to stink bait and caught one channel about 6 inches long and one blue at most a pound.

Went back about 3 to check the trap, it had been in the water for about 8 hours now. It was full of these black mushy spikey things. Now idea what they were and about three dozen 3-5 inch crappies. The first time I used it last weekend all I caught was baby crappie too.

In pain still. No bait. I'm done and went home. Maybe next time Kaw.

Redge is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2017 Man Of The Year
    Post Thanks / Like

Dang Okie that sounds like a rough day. Better for you next time I hope
    Proud Member of Team Geezer!
    Likes Okie405, brucec LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Okie not sure you could have picked a worst day to fish Kaw. The cold front scattered the shad and the lake came up 5 feet in 36 hours due to flooding in Kansas. The debris coming down the river was really bad. I fished last night for 2 hours after the wind laid and couldn't hold north of coon in the lake with 2-25 lb river anchors because of current. Hung 4 fish and didn't get any in the boat. Had to pull in the lines every 10 min to clean trash off of them. Sorry about you trip we have all had those days. I will let you know when they start biting again.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeh I saw all them logs and trees coming through there. Was like playing frogger. That area was being fished pretty heavily by the juggers. For like a mile straight, so I tried the other side. Saw lots of big shad there but with my net on the bottom of the lake I couldn't go after them.

Post Thanks / Like

Ps. What the heck are those Towers for. And are you allowed to tie off to them.

Post Thanks / Like

They are water pumps and yes you can tie off to them. A lot of people fishes those for crappie.

Post Thanks / Like

That's my train of thought, crappie fishing with lights at night. Is there pumps underwater and to where does the pumped water go to?

Post Thanks / Like

I think only one is pumping and the water goes to the oil field east of Kaw. The pumps are off the road up by the bridge. Most people try all 3 towers until they find the fish. I have night fished there a lot just kinda depends on what the sandbass do. They are around them to and crappie fishing is not as good when they move in.

Post Thanks / Like

Caught some big blues drifting the last week or so. Couldn't get a better time to drift fish than now. Big fish are starting to feed heavy.
    Caught this 31 pounder this morning. Had a 43 and a 38 last week plus several in the 20 to 30 lb range drifting 20 to 30 fow on cut shad.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast