Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old timers Vs Old geezers

Post Thanks / Like

Default Old timers Vs Old geezers

I just got thru looking at the picture sticky hoping to get some inspiration. Sad to say it hasn't hit me yet. It will in time something will come to me. In going thru the pictures I saw a lot of names that are missing from the forums today. It seems like of the old crowd that was here when I first joined up. Skip, Fatman, Snake River is about all that is left. I sure don't want to be the last man standing.

What happened to Ships a hoy, Nightprowler, Oke state jigger, Pup?????? There are a bunch more that use to be active also one I remember is Bobo Graybeard. Some of you don't know me at all others will have read about the Redman and his jig heads. Would like to see some of the old guys get back on here and tell some stories. And even post some pictures. For instance Nightprowler is the world's best eye painter. yet I saw no examples of his work. Pup well what he does with craft hair we all just dream that we could make a jig that worked and looked that good.

There are a bunch of us that have special tying skills that should and better start teaching them. If we don't they all may end up in the grave like we are some day and may be lost for a long while. Much to Skip's credit he has made a couple of Youtube videos on crappie jig tying. I might have to do the same thing so my skills won't be lost. No disrespect meant just maybe planting a acorn that might grow into a mighty oak. Kind of like a repository for patterns and tying techniques for crappie jigs.

Redman

Post Thanks / Like

Sir, you have to stick around to keep us others sticking around. Lots of good people disappeared from here long bf you left.
    Just no one spoke up.
    Will catch ya on the other side.

Post Thanks / Like

I have learned so much for you old timers. Lots of great teachers on here skip, old ship, CTom and many others.
    Likes ragnar LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Redman, glad to see you posting again. I sent you a note a few weeks ago just checking up on you. Can't thank you enough for all the information and encouragement you gave me. I don't post as much as I used to, been a little busy. Weather hasn't allowed me to get to the lake this winter except for a couple of hours. Hurts my feelings to be stuck inside.

Guys, you won't find anyone on this site who is more of a gentlemen than Redman. He'll give you his humble opinion and never try to force it on anyone. He's always respectful to others. He's extremely knowledgeable, for years I copied many of his posts so I could refer back to them. He's a great resource.

Redman, you make a good point about the valuable resource the veterans of crappie.com are to others. Would love to see video's of the best tying and making jigs. I've learned a ton from this site and I appreciate all who contributed in a positive way. Looking forward to your posts. Thanks!
    Likes skiptomylu LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Micropterus Salmoides You my friend don't remember but you did a swap and did a jig that is one of the 6 goto jigs on Caddo Lake. I still have it in a special place and when I go to tie it up I still study it to make sure I am going to do it right being a Old Geezer that sometimes forgets. Sometimes I leave out of frustration most of the time because of the ill health of my wife. We went thur three eye surgeries last year hoping for some sight improvement. 6 months later we are back where we started. I never leave for good couldn't and wouldn't do that. After all I guess that you fellows need some adult supervision.

Bronson Thank you for the kind words. All of us Old Timers really appreciate that we are wanted and needed. That means more to us than you ever will know.

Redman
    Likes skiptomylu LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Redman, I know you have had your plate full taking care of your wife and I do love it when you get the time to post. For those that don't know this story I'll tell it here. About 3 years ago I wanted to experiment with my own jighead shapes and sizes but custom molds were prohibitively expensive, I voiced my wants and needs on another forum and Redman speaks up and tells me there is a way to make my own single and double cavity molds and that he would show and tell me how to do it. He proceeded to post pics of the old molds he had made out of aluminum, and the instructions for making them myself, as of today I have probably made a dozen molds, and these molds along with their heads are my most cherished jig making possessions. I will forever be grateful to Redman for passing on to me this old school way of making a mold. The process of me learning this from Redman was documented online for others to learn from too and today I have to shake my head in disbelief as the number of views on that post have reached 48,000. Every time I pour heads with one of these molds I think about a guy that was kind enough to share his trade secrets with me so I too could enjoy my craft more.
    Likes skiptomylu, STUMP HUNTER LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Redman!!

Been a while - nightprowler pops in now and then, and I've seen Pup on a few other boards, Ol Ship is still here and Bobo is busy with his jig casting business but he is around. As redear learned the tricks of the trade for making the single molds, I'm VERY pleased to have one of them! We talk back and forth, and speaking of How's retirement going for you buddy!!!!!!!!

Haven't done any tying in a long time, and need to get back to it, but have been trading and buying stuff and learned from others and trial and error on how to dye the feathers, now I just have to find a way to dye the tanned hides and keep them soft!!LOL Making cutters for Zonker strips and cut a bunch. When I finally get back to tying I'll have plenty of materials ready to go.

Right now just waiting to hear when I'm going to be a Grand Pa again!! Daughter in Law is due tomorrow, but if she doesn't go before Monday they're going to induce her.

Great to hear from you!!
    Likes skiptomylu, STUMP HUNTER LIKED above post

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Fatman, congrats on the new arrival soon to come.

Redman, I don't post as I once did and tie even less but still like to keep up on my old friends. I have a few of your Redman heads that I refuse to do anything with. They were included in a trade from someone you did a trade with I was asked to use discretion as to who they went to, and I have done so. As I read through here I sometimes wonder where some have gotten off to. I am one to try different things and even follow them strongly for a time, only to put them down at some point and go to something else. I don't know if others do this also but with me, there are some things that I always come back to. Tying is one that always has my interest. Sorry to hear of all the effort of your wife's Doctors and no results. I pray that some help is out there somewhere for her. I always read and liked your posts and appreciated the help that you always offered freely. I look forward to your next posts and hope the picture thing works out for you. Til next time........Skeet.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Redman it is good to see you post. Hate to hear about the problems with the eyes, can't replace them but they can do wonders these days and I do hope they get them back to 100%.
    You do see some post every now and then. Many like myself are busy doing they own things and time becomes short this time of the year. I have made many tying videos and enjoy passing the art on to others. I do think paying back and passing it forward is something we all should do.
    It is interesting to watch other tyers do their thing with different materials. If the new guys have not been part of the jig swaps they are really missing out. It is a great chance to hold in your hand tyes from some of the best tyers anywhere. You can see their work and how a jig should be tied. Some amazing jigs I have from all over the US and some from across the big pond.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to hear from so many of my old buddies and my Grasshopper mold maker. I fear that he has now way surpassed me. Age is a hard master. Yes i am glad to hear that some of my old friends are still on the top side. It is always hard to hear that one of our number has slipped into the silent clods of the valley.

Fatman I need to sit down and write you a tutorial on dying feathers and hair. Still have all the equipment but Wapsi does such a fine job that there is no need for me to dye anything anymore. There is a story there that some day I will tell.

Keep up your tying old friends. A lot of times I do what the great artist would do. I do studies of different patterns tying them different ways with different materials to get a similar look. Sometimes you come up with a pattern that is a goto pattern. Sometimes one will just fall into your hands from a friend. One of the reasons I keep giving some of my jigs away.

All the best

Redman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast