Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Put Your Pride Aside And Wear The Lifevest When Fishing Alone

Ranger09 is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Put Your Pride Aside And Wear The Lifevest When Fishing Alone

I will start off by saying with water temps in the 40's here and 30's just a few miles further north you have only minutes before trouble sets in. Yesterday while fishing with close friends and clients the worst of all possible accidents happened. While reaching for a Rod he went head first into 45 degree water with full wintertime clothing and footwear on. When he surfaced we were able to get hold of him and pull him to the side of the boat. After several intense minutes which seems longer was able to pull him onboard. While just in the water for a very limited amount of time his hands were numb and extremities were not working as they should. We were able to get his clothes off and into some dry clothes I had in the boat. I can say it was a long 7 mile ride back to the warm truck. So with this said please please if fishing alone wear your vest guys we all are getting older and hopefully smarter starting today. If it's a Pride thing just bury it cause we are talking about your life. Learn a lesson from this and come home safely to your family.......Ranger
    Mark McGuire 918-441-1453
    Guiding on Eufaula, Tenkiller, and Ft Gibson
    Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Fle Fly Outdoor Brandz Pro Staff & VIP Team Cordinator

Post Thanks / Like

Because I fish alone so much I have reduced the amount of time on the water in the winter. I wear my heavy vest in the winter (all the time) and an inflatable in the summer (most of the time.) I also installed a ladder on my boat as I am certain I could not drag myself on board when alone. Pay attention to Ranger, guys. This is serious!
    Proud member of TEAM GEEZER
    Likes Tn Johnboy, Ranger09, Hat55, Okie Bob, shortdraw LIKED above post

Redge is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2017 Man Of The Year
    Post Thanks / Like

Words of wisdom Ranger!! I wear mine 100% of the time.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer!
    Likes Ranger09, Hat55, davebrown42, shortdraw LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Great advice Ranger. Also show that your motor skill are quickly taken from you. Glad yall was there to help him.
    Likes Ranger09 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Good post, Ranger. I fish alone quite often and hardly ever wear a vest, but that's because I'm fishing from the bank or off a dock most of the time. On the other hand, I have advanced geezeritis, and it might be a good idea to wear the vest afterall, as falling off the dock, a culvert, or an elevated bank is not beyond the realm of possibility. One of my friends was at the Carl Blackwell dock a couple of years ago, walking along backward while dipping his jig. He was leaning against the raised section on the north side, and he about went in when he got to the shorter section of railing.

jackie53 is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Great Post wear your Life vest.Glad all turned out well.
    John 3:16
    Blessed to have as many friends as fingers on your hand is a blessing!!!
    "Gone fish'n not wish'n"
    In God We Trust.
    Can God trust us.

Post Thanks / Like

WTG!! Ranger. After the 2 young people drowned on Kaw this winter, I received an inflatable life vest for Christmas. I now wear it whenever I fish. That episode really made me think.
    Likes Redge, Ranger09 LIKED above post

Ranger09 is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cricket george View Post
    WTG!! Ranger. After the 2 young people drowned on Kaw this winter, I received an inflatable life vest for Christmas. I now wear it whenever I fish. That episode really made me think.
    It was pretty intense for a few minutes George. He stayed down for what I thought was to long. When you have all those big bulky clothes on its hard to get back to the surface with all that weight. His phone took the swim also and I have been trying to contact him just to assure my mind he is as fine as he told me he was when they left. No matter how good a swimmer and time spent on the water things just happen no matter how careful you are.......Ranger
    Mark McGuire 918-441-1453
    Guiding on Eufaula, Tenkiller, and Ft Gibson
    Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Fle Fly Outdoor Brandz Pro Staff & VIP Team Cordinator

Post Thanks / Like

I think it was two weeks ago a young hunter here went wade hunting for ducks . He broke through the ice he was trying to cross with his chest waders on, I heard they found him standing upright with his head above water.

Cold water is a killer.

Post Thanks / Like

You should always wear a vest wether fishing alone or with someone, especially when the big motor is running. If you cant touch bottom you cant get back in a boat and its hard to pull someone in by yourself
    Likes Ranger09, Frank300, cricket george LIKED above post

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast