Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Need advice on main and trowling batteries

Post Thanks / Like

I have always heard that you need to drain your batteries down to be able to get a full charge on them. So if you charge your batteries at half charge then they will build a set charging cycle to that point and will never charge to the fullest point. I maybe wrong but I let mine drain down once in awhile to dead and then charge them back up over night. They hold a lot better charge for a longer period. Just put a light on them and let it drain the battery down. Mine last around or past 3.5 to 4.5 years easy on 3 year batteries. I am happy with the way I do it and the price I pay for a cheap battery. I Hope you get what you need in a battery at a good price.

Also when you buy a battery make sure you check the date on it and if it is not current ask for a pro rated discount because if it's already 6 months old, you lost that in your price and it's use.

Post Thanks / Like

BigDawgg, I think it's like which lure works best for Crappie, I've been told to only charge a dead battery, and been told to leave them charging all the time ( onboard charger)
    If I keep water in mine they last 3-5 years
    Likes BigDawgg LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah it's mind boggling ain't it! I guess you do what your old friends tell you to do. I check my acid level too! If I complain about a battery it is only my fault I didn't get what I needed out of it due to negligence on my part. But you want to blame the battery. Sorry! CK I'll shut up now. It's your thread. Batteries always cause you to beat a . LOL

Post Thanks / Like

I think that was only true for the older dry cell batteries like used in electric shavers, drills etc. Everything I read from the battery makers about wet cell TM batteries says to keep them fully charged. They state that leaving one discharged will cause the plates to sulfate and that builds up over time and reduces the battery's life and cycle time. That is why they recommend the modern chargers that monitor the battery when it sits for a while and charges as needed.
    I am not sure how much of this, is any, applies to the AGM and other similar batteries. I have not been able to afford one of that type yet.
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men
    Likes B10gone LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Dawgg , I did get mine replaced on the TM. Now we can go to Murray and hunt for Ray and Remus in the creek to the right beside the big house near the cell phone tower soon..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SeaRay View Post
    I think that was only true for the older dry cell batteries like used in electric shavers, drills etc. Everything I read from the battery makers about wet cell TM batteries says to keep them fully charged. They state that leaving one discharged will cause the plates to sulfate and that builds up over time and reduces the battery's life and cycle time. That is why they recommend the modern chargers that monitor the battery when it sits for a while and charges as needed.
    I am not sure how much of this, is any, applies to the AGM and other similar batteries. I have not been able to afford one of that type yet.
    I think Ray is right, fully discharging a lead acid battery can shorten its life. Best to recharge as soon as possible after use. Even if its still mostly charged. Again this is for Lead Acid batteries. Best to have a set that you only partially discharge during a day's fishing if you can. Has worked best for me.
    Tight Lines!
    Fisholishous <[[[>{

Fishing For Reservoir Stripers, A How-To Handbook

http://reservoirstripers.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ofishlbizzness View Post
    Hey Dawgg , I did get mine replaced on the TM. Now we can go to Murray and hunt for Ray and Remus in the creek to the right beside the big house near the cell phone tower soon..

Post Thanks / Like

Hey John we moved over to the third post past the bridge on the upper side of where that string was hanging off the flag pole ==
    yall come on over they biting better hear than there
    Fish tremble at the sound of my name

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by "D" View Post
    When using 2 batteries in parallel or series, it is important that they are the same age. I use 2 27's for troll motor and a 27 for cranking. All are Cabela's agms. They are hooked up to a MinnKota charger installed by Xpress and is hooked to all 3 batteries. You do not have to disconnect anything, making sure your key is not in the on position should be the same as disconnecting. Just plug it in and they will be ready soon. Mine steps down on each battery as it is charged. If you use AGM batteries you have to have a newer charger. The AGM's charge in less than half the time. I caught mine on sale a year ago for almost half price.
    I must have caught the same sale you did on the Cabela's AGM batteries. I also have a Cabela's onboard three bank charger and it has worked great. I did get a different battery for the cranking battery as I needed more cranking amps than the Cabela's AGM batteries. I got a dual purpose Exide AGM. If someone is going to use either a deep cycle for cranking whether conventional or AGM, check the cranking amps and make sure it can be used for dual purpose. For the original poster, what you need for trolling is more amp hours from your battery or batteries. You may be able to get by with one battery if you check to get one that has higher amp hours or you can get two batteries as you planned. Some people cannot find the space for another battery. The new chargers are definitely the way to go for me because they not just charge the battery but condition it when I leave it in storage. This is supposed to increase battery life.

Post Thanks / Like

I considered getting an AGM for my TM when I have to replace the current wet cell, but .......according to my charger manual, I can't have one of each type hooked to my 2 bank on board charger. I have to set it for one or the other. So if I want to switch I will have to buy two and I am not sure I can justify the cost since I get pretty good life out of the wet cells.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast