Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thank you Beagleman, Vic n, Hookin & Cookin, Jigging15 and others!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thank you Beagleman, Vic n, Hookin & Cookin, Jigging15 and others!!

Well since the guys that were planning on going with me today Saturday canceled. I decided to take all of your guys advise and just go to the lake and play with my Lowrance hds 7 gen 2 touch without anyone else in the boat with me. So I decided to go to Pomme de Terre, since this is the lake I had learned to Crappie Fish on. Water is way up and lots of little pieces of junk floating everywhere. So first thing I did was go to a cove that I hadn't been in for about 4 years. I had remembered that there was a old stump that I used to catch fish off of and another stick up that had brush around it that always provided some great fish. I just drove around the cove and I was able to see the stump and also the stick up. The down scan provided a great picture of boat. And I was able to see them on the side scans. I also just went around some boat docks and other coves looking at places where I had caught crappie at.

I still have a lot to learn sorry should have been on the ball and gotten some screen shots but didn't. I was on the water for almost 3 hours before I even picked up a fishing rod. I know it really has also helped me by putting my unit on a 12 volt power supply in the house and learning from it. I was getting to the point where I could see fish from the down scan and also the side scans.

Sorry not much of a fishing report but I can tell you that the Nemo Bridge was producing some fish, on Orange Chart, Yellow Chart, Red Chart and Purple Chart. I talked to a camper at the bridge and he said fishing was great on Wednesday and Thursday. Then on Friday it went dead. He had picked up a few early this morning south of Haverstick Cove working the brush and trees on the same side as Haverstick. He said he had good luck with minnows and Red Chart. Most of the fish I either caught or saw caught were in 20 fow right on the bottom around docks on the Pomme arm. Or at Nemo bridge in 40 fow drifting down to about 20 feet. I wasn't really looking to catch fish I ended up with a couple of nice ones anyway and I gave them to the guy camping out with his family. I also introduced him to Haverstick Cove by allowing him to follow me in there. He was catching some fish there on Red Chart. I lost a couple of nice big ones in Haverstick on Yellow and Chart in 19 to 20 fow just trolling my jigs.

I also pulled my first crank bait behind the boat by using my trolling motor. I used a purple and silver one heck I don't know the brand or anything about it. And I saw how much fun it could be pulling cranks. I ended up with one GREEN CARP and he was a small one. Dang it took me almost 5 minutes to get him unhooked! He was hooked by both sets of hooks! And I was trying my best not to hurt him any worse or put a hook into my own finger. Oh and I learned to make sure big motor is out of the water when trolling cranks off the front of the boat too!!!

Thank you guys for all of your advise and help!!! I know I will have a lot more questions in the future!

DW

Post Thanks / Like

Nice report DW I knew you would really like the new unit! And be careful pulling crankbaits its addictive!
    Amazing what you see on the side scan and how much water you can cover at 3mph.

A gun, like any other source of power, is a force for either good or evil, being neither in itself, but dependent upon those who possess it
    From an old movie I saw
    Likes DMW1960 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

you getting into this fishing again, good for you, and messing with the electronics is always fun and a learning experience,,, now for the raising of the motor while trolling, I do not do that,, why do you do that?

Post Thanks / Like

You know the old saying: "Those who CAN..DO. Those who CAN'T.....TEACH". So even tho I'm no good at finding/catching many fish, I'm more than happy to help others. And my guess is that you've already learned the lesson about letting fish get into the big motor when reeling in, so don't worry too much about raising it.

Glad to hear you were able to get out and have some fun with the new electronics!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Good report from your outing. Nothing like going to an area you know during high water to prove to yourself how you can find things with side scan. Plus things you may have never known were there. I find myself just watching the screen and forget to watch my pole.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by beagle man View Post
    you getting into this fishing again, good for you, and messing with the electronics is always fun and a learning experience,,, now for the raising of the motor while trolling, I do not do that,, why do you do that?
    Beagle its called letting out a lot of line without a line counter then not driving in a straight line. It ended up with me getting 6 pound test line wrapped around the prop of the big motor and almost loosing a crank bait.

And I got my Green Carp on a Purple with a silver bottom!. I wonder who gave me that idea to use that color??

Oh and Mr Beagle, I got a phone call yesterday while I was fishing. I told Mitch Hale that you would be putting everything up in the air on July 11. And I hope you don't mind but I told him if he had some more product in his pickup to donate stop by and I sure thought you would feed him. He told me to remind him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dfar View Post
    Good report from your outing. Nothing like going to an area you know during high water to prove to yourself how you can find things with side scan. Plus things you may have never known were there. I find myself just watching the screen and forget to watch my pole.
    Well I didn't have a pole in thank goodness! But I did find out that the cove wasn't as big as I remember! I was watching the screen so much that I almost forgot where the water ended.

Post Thanks / Like

But I think the best part of the trip was talking to a NON CDC member about the great site that we have and the great bunch of people on here. Plus I was able to show him how to fish a cove like someone else showed me years ago.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vic n View Post
    You know the old saying: "Those who CAN..DO. Those who CAN'T.....TEACH". So even tho I'm no good at finding/catching many fish, I'm more than happy to help others. And my guess is that you've already learned the lesson about letting fish get into the big motor when reeling in, so don't worry too much about raising it.

Glad to hear you were able to get out and have some fun with the new electronics!!!
    Teacher Vic!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hookin'&Cookin' View Post
    Nice report DW I knew you would really like the new unit! And be careful pulling crankbaits its addictive!
    Amazing what you see on the side scan and how much water you can cover at 3mph.
    I am thinking I need a driver! I bet if anyone saw me that they thought I was really drunk!!!
    Likes dfar LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast