Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: BEST FILLET KNIVES!!?

Post Thanks / Like

Just look for "High Carbon Stainless Steel". And don't let them tell you that there is no such thing.

Post Thanks / Like

I've got a cutco sportsman's knife and is the best knife i be ever used for cleaning fish and deer holds an edge for ever life time warranty
    If she only knew how much a fish cost me
    Likes specktacklure, floridascuba LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

i use a fallkniven f2z for filleting crappie and then the uncle henry 9" for skinning the fillets

Post Thanks / Like

thanks! i still want to try a new titanium knife
    crappie fishin aint free!

Post Thanks / Like

I am on my fourth Mr. Twister. Its the last o ne I will buy. slow learner I guess!!

Post Thanks / Like

Best fillet knife? A sharp one. The rest doesn't really matter. Stainless steel holds an edge longer and resists rusting.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

Post Thanks / Like

After my grandfather passed I got his vintage Uncle Henry 167 filet knife, an older made-in-USA model. That knife would stay sharp for a long time and because of the full tang design, you could feel every bone as you fileted. Foolishly, I left my tackle in my car while I was in college. The car was broken into and all of my tackle, including the filet knife was stolen. I have since replaced it with another vintage model I found on eBay. Still a great knife, just not Grandpa's.

Don't buy a new one- almost everything Uncle Henry now is made in China, much of it to a lesser quality. Find one in decent shape on eBay that is stamped USA.

Also- learn how to sharpen a knife. This is a simple skill that seems to get unnecessarily complicated. Their are some great videos out there on how to do it. Fileting fish is hard one a knife's edge and there is no knife that will never need resharpened. If you find the task too daunting, get yourself some Lansky Crock Sticks or a Spyderco Sharpmaker- both are great systems.

Post Thanks / Like

I use the bubba 9 inch flex and like it a lot. As far as sharpening going you need to invest in a work sharp knife sharpener. Very easy to use and fast! It's a belt system. Keep all my knives for in and outdoors sharp. There are great videos on the you tube also for how to use the work sharp. No need to send knife off to have sharpened. My kids can use it then any one should be able to use it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by arkansasbowhunter View Post
    As far as sharpening going you need to invest in a work sharp knife sharpener. Very easy to use and fast! It's a belt system. Keep all my knives for in and outdoors sharp. There are great videos on the you tube also for how to use the work sharp. No need to send knife off to have sharpened. My kids can use it then any one should be able to use it.
    Be careful with motorized knife sharpeners. They can be great tools but you can also ruin a knife with one very quickly if you you're not careful. Some knife companies will void your warranty if you've used a motorized knife sharpener- it's very easy to get a knife too hot and ruin its tempering. Again, these are a great tool, but I would recommend learning how to sharpen by hand first- it's not that complicated and the tools necessary are much cheaper. I have a 1x30" belt sander I sometimes use to sharpen my knives. I've got belts grits from 40-1200 and a leather belt to really get things sharp. I still hand sharpen most of my knives. Most of the time the edge just needs a little touch up.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I use a 9'' breaking knife (google it) once you learn to use it,its like a bubba blade. I also use a work sharp knife sharpener on all cutting tools. If you can screw up a knife on a Work sharp sharpener you really shouldn't have a knife.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast