Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Country living isn't exactly glorious sometimes

Post Thanks / Like

Country living all the way.
    Charter Member LHLC....Where the skin is thick and the stringers are heavy.
    Keep looking up cause thats where it all is
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    Likes don3778 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I don't live in the country, but even my meager 1 acre yard is more than enough to try to keep up with, while the wife and kids keep me hopping on weekends. I'll have to go with everyone's comments...it'll get better...but I like Jimmy's idea the most. Forget the leaves and split the work/fishing time.....this time of year it seems there are plenty of non-fishable days available. We can always vent our frustrations to friends, but...I think most of us on the board are still better off than some folks out there, still blessed in many ways, with a sprinkle of challenge on top. Keep your chin up Mr. Randy!
    Likes "D", fishervet, prefers shiners, Redge LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Yo Randy. Got to let you know. After 30 years taking care of just 20 acres and working on the railroad............'bout to change it all. Put our 20 acres on the market and
    looking for a place on or near the lake to really retire from all the maintenance required to keep it all looking good. Going a little further into the country with only an
    acre to tend. Got to get more involved with the reason for retirement. Travel & fish places that interest me before I can no longer pull the 5th wheel. Fought the last
    12 years to enjoy tending the 20 acres and home and work in some fishing time too. Finally getting tired of all the work and just want to play. Worked hard to make a
    lot happen in my 72 years, now it's time to have lots of fun.
    "Proud Member of Team Geezer"

Likes prefers shiners, fishervet, "G", Redge, "D" LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I hear you Joe, it's just acreage makes good neighbors.
    Randy Andres

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I am with Joe......I am gonna scale down.....going to sell 241 acres and keep my house and ten acres.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Likes prefers shiners, Tn Johnboy, "D", RetiredRR LIKED above post

PawPaw Gene is offline Crappie.com 2012 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

"G", Joe has the right idea. Sounds like a good plan to me. Wish I had a nearby lake to retire to.
    "gene"
    "G" Gone but not forgotten!!
    Likes RetiredRR LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

When I look at game pics like these, it kinda brings a tear to my eyes knowing they will miss me.

Name:  Dec11 325.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  93.8 KBName:  wow3.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  34.5 KBName:  Dec8 118.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  27.3 KB
    "Proud Member of Team Geezer"

Likes RMGeorge LIKED above post

"D" is offline Super Moderator and 2023 Crappie.Com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Congrats Joe. Guess I learned early to not be a slave to maintaining a big place. But we all know when the timing is right for ourselves.
    Team Overalls Travel Squad

FISH for LIFE

HUMANKIND......be both
    Likes RetiredRR LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I look at it like this....we all have the freedom to choose the path we take.....Randy (and Cappy) loves what he is doing.....I can see it in all his posts.....and I love to read them.....he is in "hog Heaven".....I am very happy for him that he has found something that gives him such great pleasure....live your dream......
    The "King" is coming
    This could be the Day....
    RETIRED LOUISIANA CRAPPIE HUNTER
    Likes "D", "G", fishervet, RMGeorge, Tracker123, RetiredRR LIKED above post

PawPaw Gene is offline Crappie.com 2012 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Joe, I'm living on .28 acres roughly 12,000 sq. ft. On that small plot I have two gardens, one 23' X 35' and one 20' X 20'. In those two small plots I raise all the snapbeans I can eat plus give a bunch away to the kids. Beside all we ate fresh and what we gave away, we canned 50 quarts to use during the winter. The same for okra, we ate and gave away a bunch and we put up 50 plus quart bags of smothered okra in the freezer. It has onions and Rotel in it and ready to make a gumbo or just smothered over rice. In the fall I plant onions, beets, cabbage, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, broccoli and who knows what else. I also have 6 hens which give us 3 dozen eggs a week plus do all the weeding and bug eating in my fig orchard. Oh, and I have 21 fig trees in the ground plus another 100 or so in pots and one peach tree. l have a tangerine tree that bears hundreds of taste oranges and a grape vine. Along one fence I have 15 or so blackberry vines which are great for fresh eating or making jelly.I have a loquat (japan plum) and had a mulberry tree but the squirrels killed that one by eating all the bark off of it. I have another young one to replace it with. I'm in the process of building a greenhouse that is 10' X 16'. Looking forward to fresh tomatoes next winter or even later this winter. Even with all of that I still have some space available. So don't think that downsizing means that you have to do without, it just means you have to think about it a little bit and then go wide open. Dag-gone-it, I'm tired just thinking about all I did this past year and what I have to look forward to next year. Life is good and God is Great.
    "gene"
    "G" Gone but not forgotten!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast