Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Spider rigging with telescopic rods

Post Thanks / Like

Cabela's have the whoopin stick in 12' on sale for 14.00 and it would be better than the telescopics for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

Well now I think I'll chime in with my two cents. I have used some telescoping rods for about eight or so years now. I have had 4' gar, 20lb cats, stripers, you name it I have had it. I have never broke one (lost over the side) yet. I keep four on the boat all times. Did have six. 4 ten foot two 13 foot. Used to have some 15 or longer. They are a bit "wimpy" at the tips but they get the job done. I do want some newer longer poles now. Going to all 16' in the front. I also have "Wm tight line specials", signature series, and some west points. Get what you can afford to start with. Then after you "LEARN THE ROPES" get better ones. It takes a lot to turn a boat with all them lines out. Plus when you get one on, watching the boat and the fish on the line. Its an AHHHH moment.
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 09-03-2014 at 05:32 AM.
    dave
    in currituck

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Slabby15 ...
    I don't know about telescoping poles not being "all that" for pulling cranks ... I used two 14' telescopic poles when pulling 300 series Bandits with 2oz trolling weights, and they handled the rig and the fish just fine. (don't know the brand, as I was using my buddy's poles while fishing out the back of his boat) The poles had Okuma linecounter reels w/braid, and handled that with ease.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappiePappy View Post
    Slabby15 ...
    I don't know about telescoping poles not being "all that" for pulling cranks ... I used two 14' telescopic poles when pulling 300 series Bandits with 2oz trolling weights, and they handled the rig and the fish just fine. (don't know the brand, as I was using my buddy's poles while fishing out the back of his boat) The poles had Okuma linecounter reels w/braid, and handled that with ease.

... cp
    That is cool CrappiePappy. I have never pulled cranks and I know my telescoping poles are very limber on the tips which I like for jig action. I have landed big fish with no problems and even lifted some in the boat without netting them. I thought they might be to limber to pull cranks very well, I figured they would do it but just not ideal for the job. I love my telescoping poles, they work for me. Thanks for setting me straight about cranks, Wes

Post Thanks / Like

You won't save any money trying to save any money! Most people waste enough mony twice to have started with good gear to begin with. If you don't like it you can always sell GOOD gear. Go with 16s. Once the spyder bites you its over! Don't fight it - just FISH!

"I just can't fish with one pole anymore"
    Black Fish Crappie Charters
    www.blackdoghuntingclub.com
    Likes Davedirt LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blackfish View Post
    You won't save any money trying to save any money! Most people waste enough mony twice to have started with good gear to begin with. If you don't like it you can always sell GOOD gear. Go with 16s. Once the spyder bites you its over! Don't fight it - just FISH!
    Blackfish: is correct.........I spent just about as much on 10s &12 footers. If I had known better would have went to 16s or maybe 18teens first. I can alway use the short ones for trolling.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123