HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trip to Reelfoot in March

Post Thanks / Like

Minners
    Likes crappiehoarder LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quality rain gear
    YOU CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS...BUT YOU CAN BUY FISHING GEAR.....AND THAT'S KINDA THE SAME THING.....
    Unknown.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Wow,
    Pulling your boat all the way from WS may add quite a fuel cost to the trip but as has been mentioned a couple times here, the wind in March is as sure as the lake will be wet. I bring my boat, which is not much bigger than the rentals but a bit more stable and set up how I like it. The lake will be full this spring, we've had a wet winter and they have finally got the spillway gates working properly. The other, lesser known reason for having your boat is the ability to fish the watershed lakes. The corp of engineers built a couple dozen lakes in the hills surrounding Reelfoot Lake to help slow the silting of the lake. These are gems that are rarely seen by visitors because they can't take the resort boat off the main water. These smaller bodies are still managable when the winds blow and are large and deep enough to hold great crappie, redear and gills. They are easy to find and have good ramps and parking. You can find more info by Googling "Reelfoot Watershed Lakes". You will also find Flippens Restaurant on the drive, one of the best places to eat in the area.
    Good luck. Hope you have a great trip and let us know how you do.
    My worst day of fishin' is still better than my best day at work!

Post Thanks / Like

As much as I would like to bring a boat, my boat is in Northern WI in the Shed behind about 4 feet of snow and ice at the doorway. Didn't plan this trip until a month ago and my fishing partner and her husband sold their boat and their new one will not be in until April...which is perfect for around here. So we will bring everything we can with us and hope for the best. Only fishing 3 days so not a lot of extra time. Hopefully we will be able to do it again and plan a little better. Thanks for all the input, I am sure ready to get to some warm weather. That is right after I get done snowmobiling for the next 6 days! Keep the reports coming and tight lines to all!

Post Thanks / Like

You will like Reelfoot. Your guide will show you some good spots. Everyone has their favorite spots but during march the crappie are usually suspended in the deep water. Please make sure everyone on board is wearing life jackets when the motor is running even if running slow. The lake is full of stumps and high winds will turn this lake upside down. We lost 3 men in 2013 that were not wearing life jackets. When in doubt on this lake get behind an island out of the wind and wait it out. Most of the time on Reelfoot the wind will lay down at sunset. Good luck and enjoy your fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Ha WowMarie, I first made a March trip the Reelfoot in March 2005 from Wisconsin and have been coming back every year ever since. This year I will be there from the 11th-14th. Hope to see you on the lake and good luck...if the fish are deep like last year going slow is key...so either drift socks or chain anchor dragging would probably be best...

Cheers
    Todd Johnston
    Air Force '99-'03
    Likes crappiehoarder LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

It's a beautiful lake but it can definitely get hairy quick when the wind kicks up. Bring blue/chartreuse tube jigs too. Bo's Landing has lively minners that last for days.
    Vonna
    Yes, I fish like a girl. If you tried a little harder, you could too!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12