Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: lures for bream

Post Thanks / Like

Default lures for bream

What lures work best for casting to bream?

also, is it more productive just to float the lure without much movement?

I have caught a bluegill and a shellcracker casting a small 1/16 or 1/32 beetlespin in white/red dot but find live crickets and nightcrawlers to be far more effective.

By nature, will bream chase down a lure or the lure must be presented on its nose, literally?

My early morning adventures involve getting to my fishing hole before the tackle shops are open.

Post Thanks / Like

I gotta admit, I'm not much of an artificial guy when it comes to panfish. That said, I'd have to say a close second would be rubber-legged spiders and a fly rod, then small spinners like Mepps Rooster Tails and Beetle Spins.

I hear 'ya on the baitshop thing, which was why I ordered 1,000 crickets last week. Now if/when the urge hits me, I can just grab what I need and go. Look in the Live Bait Forum if you have an interest, lots cheaper and more convenient, plus pretty easy to do (if I can do it it's gotta be easy Rofl).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bluefish1928 View Post
    What lures work best for casting to bream?
    See here:

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/panfi...orked-you.html

... and here:

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/panfi...cker-bait.html

They're sticky threads for a reason.

Post Thanks / Like

I catch the majority of mine on crickets and worms/cause thats what i fish with most.But must say i did some crank bait fishing for them earlier this year and caught some nice ones!
    I PRACTICE CATCH & FRY---DONT EVERYBODY ? Thumbs Up

Post Thanks / Like

I've caught them on maribou jigs (1/16 oz I think) by doing a reel/pause retrieve in shallow water. Also caught them vertical jigging by pinching the "tail" off of a small tube jig and threading the body on a 1/32 oz jig head. I tip it with a wax worm or crappie bite. Also catch them on small beetle spin sometimes around by casting around shallow wood/rocks.

Most of the time I have a dozen night crawlers in the fridge. They live for a couple of weeks. I just use a 1/2" length of worm under a float. One chunk of worm is usually good for 1-3 fish so I get alot of mileage out of a dozen nightcrawlers.

Eagle 1 is offline Crappie.com Legend and Mississippi Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Black 1 inch slider jigs on red or black i/32 head .
    Likes gillchaser999 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Last spring in Florida had a lot of fun catching large bluegills off the docks with silver and gold Blue Fox Vibrax size 0 spinners on ulti-light. I have had less luck with them in Illinois ... or maybe the bluegills are just smaller

Post Thanks / Like

Eagle,

Do you rig the slider weedless...or with the hook exposed??

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  sunfish.jpg
Views: 14357
Size:  45.3 KB
    I caught 6 of these sunfish on this. The entire treble hook was in their mouth each time???????????? Fun get them unhooked!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Here's my two cents worth!

Years ago, I was fishing Reelfoot Lake in West Tennessee (one of the best bluegill lakes in the country) when I saw a fellow catching big bluegill in the lilly pads. I was fishing with crickets in those same pads with some success, but I could tell he was using some other bait and catching three to my one. As he worked through the pads, he got close enough for me to ask him what he was using. He actually drew his boat alongside mine and placed a handfull of small jigs in my boat of various colors. That man was Louie Mansfield and those baits were Grizzly Jigs that he made. He went on to found the Grizzly Jig Company which is, beyond a doubt, the largest dealer of panfish fishing tackle anywhere around.

Since that day I've gone to doing all my bluegill fishing with Grizzly Jigs entirely! I tip each jig with a small piece of Berkley Power Wiggler. Over the years, I've tried Grizzlies in lakes all over the South and Midwest and have caught literally thousands of bluegill and crappie. You can google Grizzly Jigs on the net and order then straight from Louie's factory. I promise you will not be disappointed. I have not used a cricket or worm for bluegill in all these years. I use nothing but Grizzlies and usually can catch three fish while you are baiting a cricket. lol They are awesome, seriously, and I tell you that not because I get a dime for trying to sell them. I don't. I tell you simply because I love to see other people catch fish.

I fish Grizzlies under a very small bobber. Grizzlies are about 1/64 and 1/82 and have an ultra sharp hook. Try them and you'll see what I mean.

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast