Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good eatin?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Good eatin?

I can honestly say I have caught tons of bream/gills throughout my life. However, I have never eaten them. How do they compare to Crappie? Or even Catfish. I like Crappie a whole lot more than Catfish. Catfish can taste real "fishy" or muddy if not cleaned right. But man o man Crappie are GREAT!

So do the bream compare to either?

Thanks

Glen

Post Thanks / Like

Default bluegill

Bluegill or bream, brim whatever you want to call them is even milder than crappie. Very good eating. Next time you catch a few take them home and fry them up. You will be sorry you have not been eating them before.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by funfishing
    Bluegill or bream, brim whatever you want to call them is even milder than crappie. Very good eating. Next time you catch a few take them home and fry them up. You will be sorry you have not been eating them before.

They probably arn't very good from a very small farm/cattle pond. Real muddy water. And of course cows walking and uuum relieving themselves in it...lol

Post Thanks / Like

Default Very Good

No they are probably not that good from a poop pond, but they are very good from anywhere else. I put brim right under crappie, but over cat fish. I suggest you try some, you don't know what you've been missing.
    Love, what more can I say

Post Thanks / Like

We like them better than crappie because they're firmer fleshed. A lot of crappie are mushy. IMO, the only thing better than bluegill is walleye. - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

I wont eat crappie, but I'll clean you out of bream

Post Thanks / Like

Bluegills and Shellcrackers are great,not as good as Crappie but alot of people like them better!!
    Good Fishin To Ya!! Dennis Dale Hollow Crappie www.dalehollowcrappie.4t.com

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't found much difference between bream and sac-a-lait. I definately eat more bream than sac-a-lait, especially since I can only seem to catch sac-a-lait on leap years and only 1 at a time. I filet my bream, fry them up and try to beat my son to the plate. He doesn't care if they are hot or cold he will scarf them down. I woke up one morning about 5:00 and found him sitting at the table with the leftovers from the fridge having a good ol' time. But now that I think about it, bream are poisinous and you should foward all bream to me for proper disposal. My training in biology allows me to handle dangerous biological hazards such as this.:D
    The best time to go fishing is now!:D

Likes chrispy LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta
    We like them better than crappie because they're firmer fleshed. A lot of crappie are mushy. IMO, the only thing better than bluegill is walleye. - Roberta
    I agree on the crappie/brim thing, like you say firmer meat. However as we have very few walleye down my way I have to go with a correctly cleaned flathead as the best eating. Have to get all the silver skin and what little red meat off. My favorite.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Default Well, well, well

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveJ
    I agree on the crappie/brim thing, like you say firmer meat. However as we have very few walleye down my way I have to go with a correctly cleaned flathead as the best eating. Have to get all the silver skin and what little red meat off. My favorite.
    I would have to agree with Roberta in the fact that Walleye is truly my number one fish, but then I would have to go with the crappie, then perch. After the perch is where I would place the bluegill. I have had times when nothing but bluegill were biting and I enjoyed frying them up. They are a firmer than crappie. Sorry Steve, I'm not to fond of catfish, but will eat them if I'm in the mood :p .
    I'd rather be on the lake enjoying the thrill of my rod telling me there's a fish on the end of my line. :D

Corey

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast