Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Starting out

Post Thanks / Like

Default Starting out

Hi All,

I am relatively new to crappie fishing. I am a bass and cat man, but i really want to learn slab seeking. first, I would like rod, reel, line, tackle, lure reccomendations. Probably will not be using a spider set up, but i will consider buying some clamps to hold rods. How many rods should i use? Etc..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Phishermanjohn
    Hi All,

I would like rod, reel, line, tackle, lure reccomendations. Probably will not be using a spider set up, but i will consider buying some clamps to hold rods. How many rods should i use? Etc..
    Welcome to the boards. If you would, check out this thread about putting your location on your profile.
    http://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/showthread.php?t=32835
    There are people from all over and if we know where your from, some of the local guys/gals will chime in and help you out on lakes in your area and how to fish them. As for line, rod, reel, and lures. The choices are unlimited.
    In My oppinion, the graphite rods are the lightest and most sensitive, sometimes the longer the better. Reels, your preference. Line, most use a 4 or 6 pound test. It lets the jig move more freely. Lures/bait: unlimited choices, depends on where you are fishing, water clarity, and such. Some use hair jigs, feather jigs, maribou jigs, solid body plastics, and hollow tube jigs, some use the bait pump to inject their hollow tubes with crappie nibbles, http://thebaitpump.com
    Some use regular flathead minnows, rosey red minnows, and some shinners.

And how many poles? that kinda depends on what style you are fishing. Don't knock the spider rigging thing yet, this may be the best way to fish the lakes near you.

Here are a couple of links that may contain some information that will help you
    http://www.gameandfishmag.com/fishin...05/index1.html.
    http://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/showth...ishin_magician
    Last edited by jlaughlin72; 02-11-2007 at 10:58 PM.
    You can't fish with a hung line!

Post Thanks / Like

I am really intrigued by the long poles used and the spider rigging concepts.

Post Thanks / Like

PJ - Just a reminder - if you are spider rigging (trolling) Illinois waters you can only be using three poles with no more than two hooks per pole per person in the boat.
    Ken

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to crappie.com. Use the search for topics your interested in and you'll find reading about everything there is about crappies. You could read for a month here and not scratch the surface of whats here, but if you have certain topics you want to learn, you wont have trouble finding reams of discussion on them.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Aboard!!
    Good Fishin To Ya!! Dennis Dale Hollow Crappie www.dalehollowcrappie.4t.com

Post Thanks / Like

Attachment 8958 From Toledo Bend Texas!
    Last edited by skiptomylu; 12-17-2008 at 11:23 AM.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a link to my articles on my website. There are few there that might be helpful to you starting out crappie fishing -- http://www.familyfishingtrips.com/News.htm
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the boards Phishermanjohn. There's alot of seasoned crappie fishermen here that are more than willing to share some tips and secrets that will greatly increase your catches. Post away and learn all you can between fishing trips. Oh yea, post some pics as you go too. We likes 'em! :D
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.