Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Sauger on Guntersville

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sauger on Guntersville

I know its a bit off topic, but has anyone done any good fishing for Sauger or Saugeye's on Guntersville? I had heard rumor that there were some in there. If so, what time of year did you catch them and how did you fish for them.

Post Thanks / Like

Have seen and heard of guys fishing for them around the big bridge area in Guntersville but only in the cold parts of winter.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Alabama Walleye/Sauger

There is a good web article about the decline of this fishery at the site below:

Search Is on for Southern Walleye

Post Thanks / Like

They use to catch them in deep holes in the river. During the winter you can sometimes catch some nice ones under the bridges. I use to watch a one arm guy fish for them regularly and he caught alot by bumping the bottom slow with a minnow and minnow on a jig. I havent caught any in a couple years but have caught some big ones in the past.

Post Thanks / Like

I've caught them in the tailrace below the dam Nov-Mar but never up in the lake. I've heard they get around the Guntersville Hwy 431 bridge in winter, very deep.

Post Thanks / Like

have caught a lot below guntersville dam in past.last 2 years havenot don much good.15years ago was not hard to catch a 100 or beater a day.but now lucky
    to catch 10.tought crell and size limit would have helped but did not.dont know
    if over fishing caused the decline or somthing else but fish just ant their any more