Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: LOZ Guys

Post Thanks / Like

Default LOZ Guys

When you fish summer patterns, brushpiles and docks, what size line do ya use? What size jig head do ya use for the different depths. What is your favorite fishing rig and how do ya set it up, if ya dont mind sharing. I'd like to try a few end of june. Do ya use Flor yellow line or is the water to clear.

Thanks
    Randy

PS sorry if it sounds like a homework assignment!:D

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Badcast View Post
    When you fish summer patterns, brushpiles and docks, what size line do ya use? What size jig head do ya use for the different depths. What is your favorite fishing rig and how do ya set it up, if ya dont mind sharing. I'd like to try a few end of june. Do ya use Flor yellow line or is the water to clear.

Thanks
    Randy

PS sorry if it sounds like a homework assignment!:D
    its been my experience that the color of line does not mean jack when it comes to crappie fishing

case in point, in the smithville lake thread i started there were two guys who were just killing the crappie that day, more so than the other 4.
    one guy was using SUFFIX high vis, the other was using POWERPRO red....the color mattered not

we tend to stick to the same spot down at LOZ, right off our dock. I use 10lb test/2lb diameter POWERPRO red, with a 1/16oz unpainted jighead with a slabbuster to start. Will switch colors, and also jigheads until they strike. I also use 1/8oz roadrunners, berkley gulp alive (the only thing they would bite on this winter/early spring), assorted jerk baits, shallow and deep diving cranks, and suspending rogues. The slabbuster/rocky top provide a good light action approach, if the fish want action the road runner equipped with a triple tip grub will do the trick! Also some of the suspeding crank rogue types come equipped with metal inside them that create a vibration after you jerk the bait, it will vibrate and suspend at the depth you jerk it to....the fish cant help themselves sometimes.

when in doubt toss a minnow, you are bound to hook up to something, and sometimes that is all that counts!

Post Thanks / Like

I like the 6 lb Mr crappie Hi viz. It helps in lite bite detection. As for jig heads its 1/16 most of the time. Jig bodies, Mid south and Southern Pro for vertical jigging, Charlie Brewer Sliders on a horse head spinner for casting. I will use about any color, depending on conditions, as long as it has chartruce in it.

Post Thanks / Like

For casting I prefer 4lb clear. When it come to fishing right down in the cover, I would prefer to have 6lb test. I even like the 8ld spiderwire mono, it's not as thick as regular 8ld mono. I have had good luck with high-viz line this spring, but have not had a chance to try it in the summer pattern yet. We'll see how that goes. This spring the water is so dark you could probably catch them on nylon anchor rope. I prefer 1/16 jig heads. I only break out the 1/8 on days when the wind is bad and I'm trying to troll deep.

Post Thanks / Like

The only thing I would add to the responses is to tip your jig with a crappie nibble. Seems to me they bite a little better with a nibble when the water is warm in the summer months.

Post Thanks / Like

I like the 2lb diameter and 8lb strength dark green Powerpro. My main concern is that the line is strong enough to bend the hook rather than break off every time I get hung up. I've actually had it ahppen where I thought I broke the line, and the eye of the jig was still attached to the line. It broke the jig before it broke the line!

Post Thanks / Like

I like the 2lb diameter with 8lb strength dark green Powerpro. My main concern is that the line is strong enough to bend the hook rather than break off every time I get hung up. I've actually had it ahppen where I thought I broke the line, and the eye of the jig was still attached to the line. It broke the jig before it broke the line!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cjones View Post
    The only thing I would add to the responses is to tip your jig with a crappie nibble. Seems to me they bite a little better with a nibble when the water is warm in the summer months.
    I've found that when fish are picky, they are more likely to follow up on a hit with a crappie nibble attached.

Post Thanks / Like

On docks, I use the same thing year-round. 2lb diameter/10lb test Cabelals Ripcord SI in hi-vis yellow and a 1/32 Cottonmouth Lures Hoops Special jighead. I catch a lot of fish on that slow fall. The only thing I change is the color of the jig and jig head. Good luck.
    - LOZcrappie (Scott)

I would not exchange my leisure hours for all the wealth in the world. --Comte de Mirabeau (1749-1791)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks

Randy