Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: local refugee's

Post Thanks / Like

Default local refugee's

as all of ya'll know we here in fort gibson,ok have recieved 2000 refugee's from new orleans they have all been takin to camp gruber in braggs and all the surrounding towns will be affected.all donations are welcomed if anybody would like to donate anything our fort gibson church of christ is taking things dailey to camp gruber...if you can help thats great if not please keep everbody in your prayers.i know everybody on this board has a good CRAPPIE hearts.god bless every one and thanks for everything...fort gibson church of christ phone number is 918-478-2222 if anybody wants to help............

Post Thanks / Like

They are certainly already in my prayers. What you are doing is a blessing. These folks have lost everything. I am wondering if those of us who cannot help through finances, could possibly help in other ways, like donating clothes that don't fit, pots/pans, kitchenware, etc. Anything that might help them as they try to start over. Storage of these items would be a problem though.
    Maybe if enough Okies can come up with some items, we can plan a day of fishing at Gibson, and donate everything at once, having the church have a vehicle present to accept all items.
    My wife would like to have a garage sale to get rid of some items. This could be one way of doing it. I personally dislike running a garage sale. I have childrens clothes, my "skinny days" clothes. (like I'll ever get skinny again), I would even donate some fishing tackle I no longer have use for. I could have close to a full PU load by myself. My trouble would be getting it there though. I fish 3-4 times a week on Oologah, ramp is close, and I don't need to run the big motor much. But driving to Gibson would be quite the crunch in a wallet that already runs on E.
    Anyone need a good Trim Carpenter?
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Post Thanks / Like

My belief is that some of the large organizations, like the Salvation Army, are very efficient at turning those garage sale goods into cash, and very efficient in turning that cash into what is needed for whatever the situation.

I'm a bit partial to the Salvation Army.

I remember years ago being disappointed to find that they sold the items donated, but I've learned since that they do it well. They sure know how to stretch a dollar to provide to the needy what is truely needed.

I'm sure if what you have to donate is a servicable old pot or an ill fitting pair of shoes in good condition or a clean coat one no longer wears, they would be happy to have it.

I'm still a bit miffed on the Red Cross, but I'll get over it in time.

Post Thanks / Like

Wompasscat,

I know an elderly lady in Fort Gibson. She was always a member of Church of Christ. Not heard of her health for quite some time. She's really the one person that put Christ into my life. Gloria M., son Johnny.

Also, my wife is from Atoka in her past. They are the Wompasscats there. Any connection to Atoka?

You and your Church are doing a good thing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrfwmf
    Wompasscat,

I know an elderly lady in Fort Gibson. She was always a member of Church of Christ. Not heard of her health for quite some time. She's really the one person that put Christ into my life. Gloria M., son Johnny.

Also, my wife is from Atoka in her past. They are the Wompasscats there. Any connection to Atoka?

You and your Church are doing a good thing.
    no connection to atoka lived in texas for 22 years,12 years in iowa for 12 years been in oklahoma for 3 years,been great moving here alot of good people here,now we were informed to hold off on donations do to the overwhelming responce here locally,so we will hold off till further notice thanks for all the responses

Post Thanks / Like

I saw a little different request at work.
    Seems the folks at Gruber will be entertained by some local bands.

And only from New Orleans would folks request the loan of some musical instruments so they can do a second line. Second line is the dancing and playing music right behind the main band in the funeral marches they have down there. That's what they were asking for. Pretty nifty.