Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lake Olathe 5/25

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lake Olathe 5/25

The good news is that I caught 38 crappie at lake olathe today. The bad news is that only 4 of them were bigger than 10 inches. I caught them around brush both deep and shallow. Regardless of the water depth, the key was to fish 4 ft down - all on jigs. Here is a pic of the two biggest ones (12.5 & 11.5)

Post Thanks / Like

nice fish

Post Thanks / Like

Nice pair of crappie. Congrats on the catch!
    Blake

Post Thanks / Like

What kind of boat do you have and what times were you there from buggers? I was there from 3:00 to 8:00 p.m.. What a day to live my username. Got to the lake about three in the afternoon talked to a guy who appeared to be saugeye fishing. He said they weren't biting so I decided to chase wipers. Caught my baitfish in short order and went searching. Saw some fish on the graph and decided to drift as there was a nice northeast wind. Put the sunfish down and wham five pounder. Set up next drift and both rods go down one five and one nine. Went on like that for an hour or so. Action seemed to slow after one of the fish was able to wrap the outboard while I was landing another. About that same time the wind layed down and the sky brightend slightly. Caught one more a bit shallower than I had been fishing and enjoyed being on the lake till sundown then it got a little chilly. Stuck eight and landed seven between five and nine pounds. All were returned unscathed. Haven't noticed any crappie.com stickers at Olathe, would love to talk or fish with any of you guys that frequent the lake. I have a black and tan Crestliner any of you see me out there don't be strangers.

Post Thanks / Like

nice catch, i've been having some good luck there too lately.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi all, I'm new to fishing down here in Kansas City. I grew up in Minnesota. No boat yet either. I've seen quite a few people shore fishing on Lake Olathe. Are there good spots to catch crappie from the shore? I've also seen a couple of people fishing the shore at the north end of Gardner Lake by the boat launch. Is that a pretty good place as well? Didn't feel like bugging them by asking...

Post Thanks / Like

If you are bank fishing at Lake Olathe you might try the point striaght across from the beach and boat ramp. There is usually someone there but try fishing on the north side of that point there is a brushpile about 30' out that you can cast to from the bank.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the tip!

Post Thanks / Like

and if you find the big covered shelter on the north side around the bend from the dock across from the beach, there are two trails that go down to some good crappie spots. that whole cove is pretty good fishing, it's always my first stop.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=wiperhyper;806846]What kind of boat do you have and what times were you there from buggers? QUOTE]

I was there about the same time you were. I have a small 15.5ft bass style boat (1987 Jason) with 40 hp yamaha - great for small lakes or working small areas on bigger lakes. I know there are some big wipers in there, but have never tried for them. I know they are a blast to catch. In regards to saugeyes - I tried for them for an hour or so with no luck - so I guess your buddy was right that they just weren't biting. Decided to go after those crappie. See you around.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast